This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 6:10 AM by 809499 RSS

Turn off Tile for backgound in Nautilus

809499 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am looking for a way to add a new background to Nautilus. Its basically a wallpaper, so i want to turn off the tile effect.

I searched for the nautilus.css file which has the repeat property in ubuntu. But, cant find it on SOL11.

Appreciate any help.
Aubrey.
  • 1. Re: Turn off Tile for backgound in Nautilus
    DarrenMoffat Explorer
    Right click on the desktop, select Desktop Appearance..., select the Background tab, after selecting which picture you want choose the appropriate style, I find that Zoom or Stretch often fill the screen with a picture.
  • 2. Re: Turn off Tile for backgound in Nautilus
    809499 Newbie
    Not looking for the desktop wallpaper.

I'm talking about Nautilus, the file manager. It has backgrounds you can use in the fileview. Instead of using the tiled backgrounds that one normally does. I would like to use a bigger image, like a standard wallpaper as a background in Nautilus instead.

Edited by: Aubrey Bourke on Feb 25, 2013 1:59 PM
  • 3. Re: Turn off Tile for backgound in Nautilus
    DarrenMoffat Explorer
    It was my understanding that it is Nautilus is what actually draws the desktop background so I got confused about what you were asking.

I don't know how to do what you are trying to do with changing the background inside the Nautilus windows.
  • 4. Re: Turn off Tile for backgound in Nautilus
    809499 Newbie
    If you open Nautilus and click "edit", you will see the menu item "Backgrounds and emblems..." It allows you to insert a background image (usually a standard pattern which gets repeated) Or a color instead.

In ubuntu there is a file called "nautilus.css" which is able to define the "repeat" property for the background. It basically means turn on or off the tiling effect.

Whats actually happening in Nautilus is that I use a background (my own wallpaper) and it looks right. Then I close Nautilus, and open it again later, only to find the image has been tiled.

Edited by: Aubrey Bourke on Feb 25, 2013 2:03 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points