This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 5:58 AM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??

Dizwell Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I raised an SR 3 weeks ago, asking whether Enterprise Edition with RAC and Partitioning version 11.2.0.3 was supported on Solaris 11.1.

The conversation went like this:

ME: Is 11.2.0.3.0 Enterprise Edition RAC with partitioning supported on Solaris Sparc 11.1?
THEM: Please let us know whether you need Certification Information for Standalone(Single Instance) or RAC.
ME: I did specify in my original request. It's 11.2.0.3. Enterprise Edition **RAC**. With partitioning.
THEM: "Oracle Real Application Clusters 11.2.0.3.0 is *NOT* certified on Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) 11.1"
ME: OK. But could you please provide me with the link to this, so I can read it for myself?
THEM: I just checked the Certification link which is available on the "My Oracle Support".
ME:      Right, as I suspected. Solaris 11.1 isn't even mentioned on the Certification tab in MOS, so from that absence of evidence, you've merely assumed that the database isn't supported on that platform. It's an assumption I'm perfectly capable of making for myself. But given we pay a lot of money for proper support, how about giving me a serious, detailed and specific answer.
THEM: I 'll check with the certification team for details.

And shortly after that:

THEM: 11.2.0.3 Single Instance and RAC are supported on Solaris 11.1.

The certification team (whoever they are) went on to say "Applications certified on Solaris 11 is supported on Solaris 11 updates (Solaris 11.1+)".

My problem is that within the same SR, one Oracle employee has said "not supported", another quotes the 'certification team' as saying 'supported'. After 19 days of asking, I'm still basically left guessing which one is telling it like it actually is.

Anyone heard anything different, either way?
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    I would think the answer is "yes":

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/virtualizationmatrix-172995.html
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    Dizwell Newbie
    Not being funny, but why would you think that?

The page you link to mentions "Solaris 11", not Solaris 11.1

(It mentions 11.1 explicitly only in the context of also additionally having "Oracle Solaris Cluster 4.1" installed, I think, which is not the situation I have).

In the Linux world, if 11gR2 is certified for Red Hat 6.2, I don't think it automatically follows that it's certified for version 6.3. If one assumes Solaris 11.1 is just a minor increment to 11.0, then I guess that page would imply 11.2.0.3 is supported on 11.1... but it seems a pretty big assumption to make, to me. And one I didn't want to make, which is why I raised an SR about it... with unfortunately equally ambiguous results, as you see.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    Dizwell wrote:
    Not being funny, but why would you think that?
    Because to me "Solaris 11" == "Solaris 11.1".

If you load Solairs 11.0 and perform an update, you will have the identical package list as if you installed Solaris 11.1 and performed an update.

And oh by-the-way, if you have RedHat RHEL 6.2 installed and performed a "yum update" you will have RHEL 6.3... Or maybe 6.4 now I haven't done it in a couple of weeks.
  • 4. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    Dizwell Newbie
    I know you can upgrade 11.0 to 11.1, and RH6.2 to RH6.3 (or Fedora 17 to 18, come to that).

But that's a new O/S in my book. I might have "reasonable hopes" that stuff I installed on Fedora 17 would run on 18 well enough, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case. And in any case, as far as Oracle database is concerned, being definitely and unambiguously certified on a platform is a bit different from hoping or expecting that you will be.

I think it's confusing, though: on the Certifications tab in MOS, Windows 2003, 2003R2, 2008 and 2008R2 are all listed separately. Yet "Oracle Linux 6' is a single entry that, presumably, covers all 6.x releases (so does that mean 11.2.0.3 is already certified on RH6.4 that was only released a week ago??!). So it works different ways for different OSes, I think. Fair enough if Solaris works the same way as Linux in this respect: it's just not what I would have expected.

Would it kill them to spell things out, though?! Would ease my confusion, anyway!
  • 5. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Moderator Action:
    Thread moved from the Solaris 11 forum, to the Database General Questions forum, for closer topic alignment.

You don't have a fundamental or functional OS question.
    Your concerns are about the applications and whether they'll function or whether they'll be supported on your OS of choice.
  • 6. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    EdStevens Guru
    Dizwell wrote:
    I raised an SR 3 weeks ago, asking whether Enterprise Edition with RAC and Partitioning version 11.2.0.3 was supported on Solaris 11.1.

The conversation went like this:

ME: Is 11.2.0.3.0 Enterprise Edition RAC with partitioning supported on Solaris Sparc 11.1?
    THEM: Please let us know whether you need Certification Information for Standalone(Single Instance) or RAC.
    ME: I did specify in my original request. It's 11.2.0.3. Enterprise Edition **RAC**. With partitioning.
    THEM: "Oracle Real Application Clusters 11.2.0.3.0 is *NOT* certified on Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) 11.1"
    ME: OK. But could you please provide me with the link to this, so I can read it for myself?
    THEM: I just checked the Certification link which is available on the "My Oracle Support".
    ME:      Right, as I suspected. Solaris 11.1 isn't even mentioned on the Certification tab in MOS, so from that absence of evidence, you've merely assumed that the database isn't supported on that platform. It's an assumption I'm perfectly capable of making for myself. But given we pay a lot of money for proper support, how about giving me a serious, detailed and specific answer.
    THEM: I 'll check with the certification team for details.

And shortly after that:

THEM: 11.2.0.3 Single Instance and RAC are supported on Solaris 11.1.

The certification team (whoever they are) went on to say "Applications certified on Solaris 11 is supported on Solaris 11 updates (Solaris 11.1+)".

My problem is that within the same SR, one Oracle employee has said "not supported", another quotes the 'certification team' as saying 'supported'. After 19 days of asking, I'm still basically left guessing which one is telling it like it actually is.

Anyone heard anything different, either way?
    I guess there's room for interpretation and how people percieve things, but to me, if I saw "certified for fubar 11", I'd assume certified for any minor release within "fubar 11" (fubar 11.1, fubar 11.2, etc). However, if I saw the more specific "certified for fubar 11.1", I'm not so sure I'd assume certified for fubar 11.2. But by the same reasoning if I saw 'certified for fubar 11.1', I'd assume it was still good for fubar 11.1.1.

Your exchange with support seems to back that up.
  • 7. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    Dizwell Newbie
    I'm not sure that my exchange with support backs anything up! I've been told it's supported and unsupported in the same SR! True enough, the 'it's supported' line came last, but does that make it any more reliable than the earlier 'no it's not' one??!

But fine: let's fly with what they told me last: "The MOS certifications for DB on OS lists the minimum version of OS required, and updates are automatically certified."

Taking that at its face value, then: that means Oracle 11.2.0.3 is automatically certified on Red Hat 6.4, released just last week (because the MOS certifications for DB only mentions 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6'), since version 6.4 is just a point release of 6.x. I'm not sure I'd trust a certification program that (allegedly) says "Our database is automatically certified on an O/S that's only just been released and over which we have absolutely no control whatsoever'. That seems a meaningless thing to me: God knows what Red Hat have done to their kernel in 6.4 compared to (say) 6.3. I certainly don't... and neither does Oracle Corp. at this stage. So how they can say "automatically certified, because it's only a point release" beats me.

Moreover: Windows 2008 and Windows 2008R2... both are listed separately in MOS (but unless I'm much mistaken, all Windows since Vista have been version 6.something or other... The point-release auto-certify-no-need-to-mention-details trick doesn't seem to apply in that situation, does it?!)

A pig's breakfast, I'd call it. Would it kill them to spell it out, at least to major point release level?!
  • 8. Re: Oracle 11.2.0.3 supported on Solaris 11??
    EdStevens Guru
    Dizwell wrote:
    I'm not sure that my exchange with support backs anything up! I've been told it's supported and unsupported in the same SR! True enough, the 'it's supported' line came last, but does that make it any more reliable than the earlier 'no it's not' one??!
    yes, I'd say the second is more reliable. The first answer was given by the lowest level of support tech. They are NOT necessarily the final authority or most knowledgeable. You pressed the issue and got him to go to someone with more knowledge of the specific issue. Really not that unusual of a situation.

But fine: let's fly with what they told me last: "The MOS certifications for DB on OS lists the minimum version of OS required, and updates are automatically certified."

Taking that at its face value, then: that means Oracle 11.2.0.3 is automatically certified on Red Hat 6.4, released just last week (because the MOS certifications for DB only mentions 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6'), since version 6.4 is just a point release of 6.x. I'm not sure I'd trust a certification program that (allegedly) says "Our database is automatically certified on an O/S that's only just been released and over which we have absolutely no control whatsoever'. That seems a meaningless thing to me: God knows what Red Hat have done to their kernel in 6.4 compared to (say) 6.3. I certainly don't... and neither does Oracle Corp. at this stage. So how they can say "automatically certified, because it's only a point release" beats me.
    I'd guess that would come from a knowledge of what kinds of things get changed at a point release. By your own admission you don't know what that is, and neither do I. But if the certification depended on a point release, then their initial certification for RHEL 6 should have (would have?) specified RHEL 6.1
    >
    Moreover: Windows 2008 and Windows 2008R2... both are listed separately in MOS (but unless I'm much mistaken, all Windows since Vista have been version 6.something or other... The point-release auto-certify-no-need-to-mention-details trick doesn't seem to apply in that situation, does it?!)
    Windows is a world unto itself. To paraphrase ... "My momma always said Windows was like a box of chocolates ...". I avoid it every chance I get. Unfortunately, I still have one app that still requires Oracle 10.2 on Windows.
    As for the immediate question at hand, regarding windows ... my response would be that since MS labels and version numbers their products in a totally different fashion than the *nix world, we cannot draw parallels in how to address certification vs OS version.
    A pig's breakfast, I'd call it. Would it kill them to spell it out, at least to major point release level?!
    Edited by: EdStevens on Feb 27, 2013 7:56 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points