This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 6:52 AM by ziusudra RSS

BI Server DSN Configuration Issue

Rudoph Wang Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, All

I am configuring BI server administration tool and come across issue.
The BI server is installed on VM Oracle Linux 5.9. The installation is successful, e. g. AdminServer, bi_server1 are up. BIEE home and be opened and login from client machine. After installing biee_client_install_x64, and configuring ODBC, I got problem.

The setup is like:

On Oracle BI server DSN Configuration wizard,
Name: BIvmOracle64
Clustered DSN is select.
Primary Controller: vmOracle64 (hostname of vm box, which can ping from client computer.
Port: 9704

After clicking Test Cluster Connect, I got error message

[nQSError: 12017] Unexpected socket read timeout: connection terminated by network, e. g. by the firewall
[nQSError: 12008] Unable to connect to port 9704 on machine vmOralce64
[nQSError: 69018] Connection Succeeded but vmOracle64:9704 failed to respond
[nQSError: 69006] Test connection to both the primary and secondary Cluster Controller failed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rudoph W
  • 1. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    Dude! Guru
    The available networking options in VirtualBox depend on your selected network adapter type and firewall configuration. The default NAT adapter, for instance, cannot be used to respond to incoming connections unless you configure port forwarding. Since you aren't providing any information about your network configuration, I'm afraid no further help is possible. You can disable the firewall of Oracle Linux to see if it is the culprit using the command "service iptables stop". For questions about VirtualBox I suggest to post at forums.virtualbox.org or check the manual, which explains the networking options in detail.
  • 2. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    EdStevens Guru
    Rudoph Wang wrote:
    Hi, All

I am configuring BI server administration tool and come across issue.
    The BI server is installed on VM Oracle Linux 5.9. The installation is successful, e. g. AdminServer, bi_server1 are up. BIEE home and be opened and login from client machine. After installing biee_client_install_x64, and configuring ODBC, I got problem.

The setup is like:

On Oracle BI server DSN Configuration wizard,
    Name: BIvmOracle64
    Clustered DSN is select.
    Primary Controller: vmOracle64 (hostname of vm box, which can ping from client computer.
    Port: 9704

After clicking Test Cluster Connect, I got error message

[nQSError: 12017] Unexpected socket read timeout: connection terminated by network, e. g. by the firewall
    [nQSError: 12008] Unable to connect to port 9704 on machine vmOralce64
    [nQSError: 69018] Connection Succeeded but vmOracle64:9704 failed to respond
    [nQSError: 69006] Test connection to both the primary and secondary Cluster Controller failed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Rudoph W
    If, as Dude suggests, you are running this under VirtualBox, you will have some networking challenges. The best solution I've come up with (for general use, not your specific question) is to create my virtual machines with two nics. the first is the default of NAT (which in VBox also means it has to be dhcp) is bound to eth0. the second is 'host-only', is bound to eth1, and given a proper fixed IP address. You can read more detail [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/category/personal-test-systems/]here
  • 3. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    Rudoph Wang Newbie
    Thanks, Dude, for response.

The vm net work setup as Bridged Adapter and vm Linux uses static IP. Window host file has entry for IP, host, and alias. I do stopped the firewall on vm Linux and the same error message comes.
  • 4. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    Rudoph Wang Newbie
    Hi, Steven
    Thanks for response. When using Bridged Adapter and static IP on VM, my network works. I can ping from VM to host and VM to another physical linux server with static IP. When using your approach, vm can neither ping host Window 7 and Linux server with static IP.
    After installing OBIEE, Browser based Enterprise Manager and BI page can open from all workstations in the network. My issue is when setting up ODBC from host window trying to connect vmOracle64:9704, which can be opened successfully from all workstation.

Any idea?
  • 5. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    Rudoph Wang Newbie
    Thanks all. Issue is resolved.
  • 6. Re: BI Server DSN Configuration Issue
    ziusudra Newbie

Please write the solution

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points