This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 7:05 PM by yxes2013 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: RMAN again?
    EdStevens Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    yxes2013 wrote:
    BACKUP AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
    I dont like compression as this might corrupt the file :(.
    Cite one example where compression corrupted the backupset.
    I just want a simple backup but complete.

My question is > Is the command "backup database" includes controlfile and spfile? or do I need to state it literally as backup database plus controlfile plus spfile plus archivelog plus all other files.
    The command and what it does is described in the cited reference manuals. I can understand wanting some help sifting through the clutter of all the options, but you are now asking about the specific action of a specific option. It's in the reference. Reading documentation is what professionals do.
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    backup database plus archivelog delete all input;
    Are there other files missing?

Thanks
  • 16. Re: RMAN again?
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer
    EdStevens wrote:
    The command and what it does is described in the cited reference manuals. I can understand wanting some help sifting through the clutter of all the options, but you are now asking about the specific action of a specific option. It's in the reference. Reading documentation is what professionals do.
    Apparently it's too confusing...
  • 17. Re: RMAN again?
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Thanks Ed :)
    What is the purpose of compression dear? it is for security or for making the backup faster and smaller.
    As far as I know compressing a backup is slower than the normal one because you are calling two(2) processes. :)
    Does "delete all input" means delete expired archivelogs?
    I don't want to delete archivelogs because I have two(2) standby databases that might still be delayed in synching arch to its database. :(
    I want to manually delete it or do you have a special script the checks if all the archivelogs have been applied to the standby databases?
    before the primary db deletes them?

gracias!

Edited by: yxes2013 on 26.2.2013 22:07
  • 18. Re: RMAN again?
    EdStevens Guru
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Thanks Ed :)
    What is the purpose of compression dear? it is for security or for making the backup faster and smaller.
    Who said anything about compression being related to security?
    As far as I know compressing a backup is slower than the normal one because you are calling two(2) processes. :)
    Yes, and your point is?

You said you didn't trust compression because you were afraid it would "corrupt" the backup. I asked you to cite a single example of that ever happening.

>
    Does "delete all input" means delete expired archivelogs?
    "delete all input" means exactly what the documentation says it means. And it has nothing to do with expired archivelogs. Do you know the definition of an "expired" archivelog or an "expired" backup?

When an archivelog is created a record of that archivelog is written to the repository. (the repository is in the control file, and possibly, additionally in the catalog). There is nothing to prevent you from deleting that archivelog with the same simple OS command you use for deleting any other file. Of course, if you do that, the record in the repository will be referencing a file that no longer exists. An rman 'crosscheck' command checks these repository records against reality. If a file has 'gone missing', its record is marked as 'expired'. Follow that up with a 'delete expired' command and the records that are marked 'expired' are deleted from the repository. That has nothing to do with normal 'backup .... delete (all) input' operations.
    I don't want to delete archivelogs because I have two(2) standby databases that might still be delayed in synching arch to its database. :(
    I want to manually delete it or do you have a special script the checks if all the archivelogs have been applied to the standby databases?
    before the primary db deletes them?
    there are mechanisms with a dataguard setup to protect archivelogs that have not yet been applied. I'm not running DG now, so don't have that information at my fingertips. I'd have to look it up in the docs ... something you need to learn to do.
    >
    gracias!

Edited by: yxes2013 on 26.2.2013 22:07
  • 19. Re: RMAN again?
    EdStevens Guru
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have not used RMAN for a long time, as I am only supporting development systems for the past months and i do export/import for backups only.

I forgot my RMAN lessons already :( and I want to use it now for standby and replication testing.

Can I have a refresher please. Just the simplest default & basic commands.

1. rman target /
    2. backup database;
    3. crosscheck backup;
    4. delete obsolete;

What else do I miss?

Thanks a lot,

zxy

Edited by: yxes2013 on 25.2.2013 23:09
    I strongly recommend you buy and read [url http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-RMAN-Backup-Recovery-Press/dp/0071628606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361970262&sr=8-1&keywords=rman+backup]this book
  • 20. Re: RMAN again?
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer
    EdStevens wrote:
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have not used RMAN for a long time, as I am only supporting development systems for the past months and i do export/import for backups only.

I forgot my RMAN lessons already :( and I want to use it now for standby and replication testing.

1. rman target /
    2. backup database;
    3. crosscheck backup;
    4. delete obsolete;

What else do I miss?

Thanks a lot,

zxy

I strongly recommend you buy and read [url http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-RMAN-Backup-Recovery-Press/dp/0071628606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361970262&sr=8-1&keywords=rman+backup]this book
    The documentation seems to cover various scenarios quite nicely. Does the book give you insights beyond that? Maybe I should pick it up... when I'm done with this book and the two others sitting on my desk, that is.
  • 21. Re: RMAN again?
    EdStevens Guru
    Justin Mungal wrote:
    EdStevens wrote:
    yxes2013 wrote:
    Hi All,

1. rman target /
    2. backup database;
    3. crosscheck backup;
    4. delete obsolete;

What else do I miss?

Thanks a lot,

zxy

The documentation seems to cover various scenarios quite nicely. Does the book give you insights beyond that? Maybe I should pick it up... when I'm done with this book and the two others sitting on my desk, that is.

At the time I bought it (the 10g edition) I was having difficulty getting my head around a few things, and more importantly cutting through a lot of what I call 'clutter' in the official docs. By that I mean that in general "Reference" manuals - of necessity - give every permutation of every command. In reality you only need 10% of that 90% of the time (and 85.732% of all statistics are made up on the spot). The problem is figuring out which 10%. I found the Hart&Freeman book to be much more "approachable" to get started. But in the end, there is still no substitute for the official docs .. especially when the question is 'what does such-and-such command do'.
  • 22. Re: RMAN again?
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer
    EdStevens wrote:
    At the time I bought it (the 10g edition) I was having difficulty getting my head around a few things, and more importantly cutting through a lot of what I call 'clutter' in the official docs. By that I mean that in general "Reference" manuals - of necessity - give every permutation of every command. In reality you only need 10% of that 90% of the time (and 85.732% of all statistics are made up on the spot). The problem is figuring out which 10%. I found the Hart&Freeman book to be much more "approachable" to get started. But in the end, there is still no substitute for the official docs .. especially when the question is 'what does such-and-such command do'.
    Thanks Ed.
  • 23. Re: RMAN again?
    yxes2013 Newbie
    I told you so...;)

So for me, my book is this forum, because it is much more concised and self-explanatory, what you see is what you get. :D
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points