This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 9:58 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

system updating wrong data files

993866 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i have too different database set up on different machines and i have two application servers pointing to the databases.
what is happening of late is that when do processes on the test environment some information is being updated on the live environment.
for examples i was running end of day in the test environment and it updated the dates in the live environment.

i have checked the application server pointers and they look ok.

please assist what else i can check.
  • 1. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Karan Kukreja Journeyer
    Hi ,

Please check:

what are the names of the databases ?
    what are the connection strings/TNS names used for both ? It might be the case that your dev application has tns of prod and hence making all goof up in the prod.

and yeah , do you have the same passwords for both the databases user ?

Regards
    KK
  • 2. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    You might have a hard-coded TNS connect-string or JDBC URL connecting to the Production database instead of the Test database.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 3. Re: system updating wrong data files
    moreajays Pro
    Hi,

It seems to be cloning issue , post cloning to test code/application hard coded IP/PORT/Service still points to production caused this

Thanks,
    Ajay More
    http://www.moreajays.com
  • 4. Re: system updating wrong data files
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Let me tell you what I see. Another Java failure. Where Java developers have not the foggiest notion how to use Oracle, what Oracle is, and how to connect to Oracle...

Then they run their incorrectly configured app server, update the WRONG database.. and then turn around and state "+oh well, Oracle is updating the wrong data files+".

PLAIN AND UTTER BS.

Fact is YOUR code and YOUR app server connects to the WRONG database.

Yes, I'm foaming at the mouth as very little cheese me more off as a developer that screws up and then blame someone/something else for the screwup - as they think their code is just so pretty and perfect that it could not be their code.
  • 5. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Jonathan Lewis Oracle ACE Director
    990863 wrote:
    what is happening of late is that when do processes on the test environment some information is being updated on the live environment.
    for examples i was running end of day in the test environment and it updated the dates in the live environment.

i have checked the application server pointers and they look ok.
    Apart from the suggestions relating to tnsnames etc. another possibility it that there are some database links that need to be modified - perhaps there's a db_link in the production database that points back to the production database; if you clone the database to a test database this would probably need to be modified to point to the test database.

Regards
    Jonathan Lewis
  • 6. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Another Java failure.
    If you've seen EBusiness Suite database cloning .... there's a lot of places where JDBC connect-strings are hardcoded. Oracle had to provided specially cloning scripts which are "aware" of all the hardcoding and make changes depending on values that the DBA inputs (so.. it is still error-prone !)

Hemant K Chitale
  • 7. Re: system updating wrong data files
    perhaps there's a db_link in the production database that points back to the production database
    Yes, I've seen that happen. Also with EBusiness Suite databases as well.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 8. Re: system updating wrong data files
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    Another Java failure.
    If you've seen EBusiness Suite database cloning .... there's a lot of places where JDBC connect-strings are hardcoded. Oracle had to provided specially cloning scripts which are "aware" of all the hardcoding and make changes depending on values that the DBA inputs (so.. it is still error-prone !)
    So in other words. Java fails. Again.

No big surprise there. It is a complex and clunky, and at times inane, architecture. Used by religious J2EE fanatics, claiming to be developers.*

<i>* - opinion based on many years seeing spectacular Java failures, fubars of the likes I have never witnessed before in s/w development and information systems</i>
  • 9. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
  • 10. Re: system updating wrong data files
    993866 Newbie
    The databases have different names and the tns is pointing to the correct environment.

but what i have discovered is that a certain database link host has the live ip address.
  • 11. Re: system updating wrong data files
    993866 Newbie
    where can i check the hard-coded TNS connect-string? counld it be the links that i found?

Edited by: 990863 on Feb 28, 2013 9:51 PM
  • 12. Re: system updating wrong data files
    Hard coded TNS connect strings could be anywhere.
    Configuration file(s)
    Configuration table(s)
    database link(s)

It really depends on the application and how and where it chooses to store connection info.

Hemant K Chitale

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points