This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 9:41 PM by 3sth3r_m RSS

Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails

3sth3r_m Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
We are trying to install OVM 3.2.1 on an oracle server, x3-2 (previously known as an x4170-m3). The installation fails after it appears to not recognize the network cards? The only network cards on this server are the onboards which are Intel X540 10Gbe.

Any suggestions?
  • 1. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    user12273962 Pro
    I've got a 4170M2 but quite a bit different. Oracle Premium support for hardware gives you support for any flavor of Oracle Linux or Oracle VM you want to run. I'd open a ticket with Oracle. It might be as simple as a ILOM/BIOS update. You might want to try and see if 3.0.3 will load. 3.1.1 and higher is a bit different in hardware supported.
  • 2. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    3sth3r_m Explorer
    Unfortunately 3.0.3 won't work for us, we need at least 3.1.1.

We are currently downloading 3.2.2 to see if that will work
  • 3. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    GregoryG. Newbie
    Hi,

Please update this post, if you manage to sort things out ! I'm afraid you should open a SR to ask the support to provide you with the correct drivers. The server support allows you do that and I would bet on a driver issue.

That weird the installation Guide reports an issue with Suse on that exact matter but nothing on Oracle VM 3.1.1.

Not sure it it will help you however, this is what I've found :
    - Oracle VM 3.1.1 comes with UEK2 2.6.29-200.1.1 has "ixgbe version 3.4.8-k"
    - Oracle VM 3.2.1 comes with UEK2 2.6.29-300.22.2 has "ixgbe version 3.10.16" and from what i see no "ixgbevf"
    - Oracle VM 3.2.2 comes with UEK2 2.6.39-300.29.1 that comes with OVM 3.2.2 embeds "ixgbe version 3.10.16" and "ixgbevf version 2.6.2-NAPI"
    - From Intel, the [X540T1|http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Network+Connectivity&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Ethernet+Converged++Network+Adapter+X540-T1] and [X540T2|http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Network+Connectivity&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Server+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Ethernet+Converged++Network+Adapter+X540-T2] require ixgbe 3.11.33+ and "ixgbevf version 2.4.0+). At least that's are the supported Linux Drivers you can from their sites.
    - The good news is I've check with UEK2 2.6.29-400 and it gets "ixgbe version 3.11.33" and "ixgbevf 2.6.2-NAPI". However, this kernel is not yet available for Oracle VM afaik.

What you could do to make sure it's a driver issue is
    - check the [VendorID:DevID] from : lspci -nn | grep -i 'ethernet'
    - try with Oracle Linux 6.3 and 6.4 with the different kernel (UEK and Redhat) and check if some are working and some not.

Best Regards,

Gregory
  • 4. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    GregoryG. Newbie
    Hi again,

I forgot to mention, if you figure out it's a driver issue, you can try to build and install the ixgbe and ixgbevf latest drivers on the box. Even though (1) it might be an issue with Oracle Support and (2) kernel updates will become way more complex

(wink) OVM Server 3.2.1: Building the Kernel rpms

Best Regards,

Gregory
  • 5. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    3sth3r_m Explorer
    welll, turns out it wasn't the drivers for the network cards, but the drivers for the tape drives.

Disconnected the tape drive and the install went through fine
  • 6. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    GregoryG. Newbie
    Good news !
  • 7. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    user12273962 Pro
    Had a similar situation happen to me. It didn't kill the install but the server acted flaky whenever it could see a tape drive.
  • 8. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    user157995 Explorer
    Out of curiousness, what was the plan with attaching a tape drive to a OVM Dom0?
  • 9. Re: Installing OVM 3.2.1 on oracle X3-2 fails
    3sth3r_m Explorer
    there was no plan to attach a tape drive to dom0. The tape library is attached to the san switches, the san switches to the server, but the zoning and lun masking wasn't yet done. The server picked up that there was "stuff" on the fibre link

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points