This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 3:36 AM by Erik Janssen RSS

Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation

811765 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have worked a lot of with IAS 10.1.2.3. Now I want to install Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g Release 1 (11.1.1.6.0). But I need the Portal for my old applications.

I have found the document 1364497.1 "New Direction for Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g with Single Sign-On 10g". In the document is a section "Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation" from 23-MAY-2012. This describe in Part 1 that I have to install the Infrasturcture of Oracle Identity Management 10g (10.1.4.0.1) . But I can't find the needed sources in the given donlaod path (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/101401-099957.html).
I found only Oracle Identity Management 10g (10.1.4.3). This version seems to me does not have an Infrasturcture.

I don't know which sources I have to download to install the temporary needed Infrasturcture. Can anybody help to find the right sources?

Thanks,
Frank
  • 1. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hello Frank,

Correct, older versions of the Application Server software have been removed from both the Oracle Technology Network and from the Software Cloud (e-Delivery).

To install Oracle Portal fresh, you have a few options :
    <ol><li>use an existing SSO 101.4.3 middle tier instance if you have one, may not be the preferred option
    <li>use a new IDM 10.1.4.3 environment. You can ask Oracle Support for the software, see My Oracle Support document [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1071023.1]1071023.1
    <li>use OAM instead of SSO. This is a new option where you will be installing Oracle Portal with OAM (Document [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1436807.1]1436807.1. This document is not available yet, but will be delivered through the My Oracle Support website soon). You will still need IDM 10.1.4 software if you want to use this new direction</ol>
    Thanks,
    EJ
  • 2. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    811765 Newbie
    Hello Erik,

thank you for your response. I think the best way is number 3. Is it possible to get earlyer the Document 1436807.1 with a SR?

Thanks
    Frank
  • 3. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hi Frank,

I'd prefer to get the document published first. Also a few comments with regards to the OAM installation path.

The benefits are :

<li>You will be using OAM straight from the beginning, no SSO in the picture
    <li>You can install Oracle Portal with an 11g OID instead of a 10g OID (which you would get when installing IDM 10.1.4)
    <li>You can use an 11.2 database for both the Portal and OID repository. With IDM 10.1.4 you are restricted to an 10.1 or 10.2 database as the installer does not support 11g.

There are some drawbacks as well :

<li>There will be no DAS solution (oiddas). Both User/Group creation should be done with different tools (ldif files, dbms_ldap API, provisioning from a 3rd party LDAP server) as well as User and Group LOVs in the access tabs of several Portal components won't work. You can still enter the name of the user and group in the input field to grant privileges
    <li>The seeded login portlet does not work

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 4. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    811765 Newbie
    Hello Erik,

excuse again, I have still two small question:

In which time interval does the document become public? (days, weeks month) I need this information to plan my work.

It is ok , that I use an existing installation of Oracle Single Sign-On 10g 10.1.2.3 in stead of 10.1.4? I have all sources for this old software. I saw this alternative in:

Oracle® Fusion Middleware Installation Guide for Oracle Identity Management
    11g Release 1 (11.1.1)
    Part Number E12002-11
    5.3 Single Sign-On Options
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/install.1111/e12002/sso_evaluate.htm

Thanks a lot
    Frank
  • 5. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hi Frank,

Still aiming for couple of weeks with max. of one month.

Should you decide to go for good old SSO, you will be able to use 10.1.2.3 from a technical point of view. Oracle Portal 11g will work with SSO 10.1.2.3 and OID 10.1.2.3. Supportability is a different issue. Oracle supports IDM 10.1.4.3 only at this moment, until December 2012. You could obviously decide to use the following path :
    <ol>
    <li>install OID 10.1.2.3 / SSO 10.1.2.3 in a 10.2 database
    <li>install Oracle Portal 11.1.1.6 in a separate 11.2.0.3 database
    <li>migrate SSO 10.1.2.3 to OAM 11.1.1.5
    <li>update OID 10.1.2.3 to OID 11.1.1.6
    <li>update the OID metadata repository from 10.2 to 11.2.0.3
    </ol>
    The advantage of this approach is that you will still have oiddas around in the SSO/OID 10.1.2.3 Oracle Home, so you don't loose this functionality.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 6. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    925542 Newbie
    Hi Erick did you have detailed steps to perfoms the instalation without loose oiddas

Readign
  • 7. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hello Readign,

The setup described in Note [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1436807.1]1436807.1 is not aimed at using oiddas for user delegation. Key point to understand from this Note is that the IDM 10.1.4.3 environment which you install in step 1 is never wired to the Portal 11g install. Portal uses the OID 11g version installed in step 2.

If you need oiddas now, you will need to use one of the alternative solutions for installation of Oracle Portal as discussed in Note [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1364497.1]1364497.1, "New Direction for Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g with Single Sign-On 10g".

We are working on getting an oiddas solution within a WLS 11g managed server which can then be wired to the Portal 11g install. Once I have been able to test the solution, it will be published on the Oracle Support website.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 8. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    811125 Newbie
    Hi

We are doing a very similar excersice at the moment, however we do have a requirement for DAS.

From what i have read, OIM (Oracle Identity Manager) provides the same functionality as DAS.

Is there any notes on using 11g Portal with OAM and OIM?

Regards
  • 9. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    There is no documentation nor any notes for using OIM with Oracle Portal. I have heard about a few configurations which were done by Oracle Consulting.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 10. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    811125 Newbie
    Hi Erik,

Thanks for the reply

Yes your right. The oinly note that i found is one you mentioned in a previous post with using OAM (as SSO) with Portal
  • 11. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Raviteja Newbie
    Hi Erik,
    I'm sorry to dig up the old thread but I'm exactly in the same situation and decided to go to version 11.1.1.6. How ever we have Oracle Forms/Reports applications as well and the installation will be on two new servers, one for DB and one for Fusion.
    Can you please point me to any article or list the steps involved ? I'm not exactly sure as to the exact software I need and order in which I install them.

Thank you
  • 12. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hi Raviteja,

You can find more information in {message:id=10880644}

OAM 11.1.16 doesn't provide DAS. For OAM 11.1.2, Oracle will provide a DAS solution which is deployed in the OAM manages server oam_server1. This patch is not yet released but it is expected quit soon.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 13. Re: Oracle Portal 11g - New Installation
    Erik Janssen Pro
    The installation instructions are available from the My Oracle Support website, search for Note Note [url https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?id=1436807.1]1436807.1 - How to Perform a New Installation of Oracle Portal 11g With Oracle Access Management 11g as Single Sign-On Solution ?

Thanks,
    EJ

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points