This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 12:02 AM by Ronny RSS

How to show Parent Child hierarchy expanded by default

Ronny Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I have a parent child hierarchy report showing the sales figures (shown in braces here) and the employee names with every employee showing their sales figures against them. This is what it looks like when expanded to the lowest level

-Bob(100)
--Scott(20)
---Harry(30)
----Tom(50)
-----Nick(40)

Now by default on the dashboard the report shows with everything collapsed, like this

+Bob(100)

The issue is that there is a dashboard prompt (not hierarchical prompt) using which users can choose for which employee they want to see the sales. So for example if they choose Harry. The way they want report to come up is like this

-Bob(100)
--Scott(20)
--(+)Harry(30)

You see that + sign in front of Harry? means they want that the report gets expanded automatically till Harry and they don't have to drill down from Bob and then Scott to reach Harry. And then they can further drill down from Harry. Similarly for other employees too. Is that possible? Can we have the parent child hierarchy report expanded automatically till the level users have selected the value from prompt?

Please let me know on this ? If there are other workaround, please do let me know too. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ronny
  • 1. Re: How to show Parent Child hierarchy expanded by default
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    Check this
    http://123obi.com/2012/06/obiee-11g-expanding-hierarchy-column/

if helps mark
  • 2. Re: How to show Parent Child hierarchy expanded by default
    Ronny Newbie
    Thanks Srini, but that way I can only set the expansion with hard coded selected members. My requirement is to automatically expand the hierarchy till the level what user select in the prompt.

So if they select Harry it would be like this

-Bob(100)
    --Scott(20)
    --(+)Harry(30)

and if they select Tom it would be

-Bob(100)
    --Scott(20)
    ---Harry(30)
    ---(+)Tom (50)

See here the Harry is expanded now and Tom is collapsed.

Any ideas on how can we do that.

Thanks,
    Ronny
  • 3. Re: How to show Parent Child hierarchy expanded by default
    Srini VEERAVALLI Guru
    Check this
    how to expand the hierarchy column automatically when delivery reports by a

Any updates on this?

Edited by: Srini VEERAVALLI on Mar 4, 2013 9:54 AM
  • 4. Re: How to show Parent Child hierarchy expanded by default
    Ronny Newbie
    Thanks for the help srini, but this too doesn't solve my issue. I have a parent child hierarchy and depending upon the employee name which users will select from the prompt, the level of the hierarchy would differ. Like I have shown above,

if they select Harry it would be like this

-Bob(100)
    --Scott(20)
    --(+)Harry(30)

and if they select Tom it would be

-Bob(100)
    --Scott(20)
    ---Harry(30)
    ---(+)Tom (50)

also it might change like this too where they selected Angie, a employee who isn't the descendent of Scott and is of Matt

-Bob(100)
    --Matt(20)
    ---Sean(30)
    ---(+)Angie(50)

Basically, the requirement is what ever user they select from the prompt (and this is NOT the hierarchical prompt), the hierarchy is exapanded till that level automatically. I'm really not finding any way to do this?

One thing which would solve my problem is by using the hierarchical prompt for this report and then using the presentation variable capture the employee name which users select in the normal prompt and then default the hierarchical prompt with this presentation variable.

But I guess we can't use presenatation variable in the hierarchical prompt, can you confirm this ?

If you know of any other work around, please let me know. Thanks for your help till now.

-Ronny

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points