This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 2:50 AM by Arun RSS

Issue with database characterset

Arun Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Database Version:11gR2

Developer complained that they are trying to insert Japanese characters and they are able to insert but while displaying its not actually dispalying Japanese characters. So i checked the database characterset.
SELECT * FROM nls_database_parameters WHERE parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

PARAMETER VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P15
For 'Japanese' i know that the characterset required is AL32UTF8. The above one supports French i believe.

So here are my questions.

1. Is there anyway i can insert and view Japanese characters properly in the above characterset database?
2. Is there anyway i can change the characterset of the database(i believe we cannot, but just confirming it)
3. If i create AL32UTF8 and import the database from above characterset, will that work?

Thanks,
Arun
  • 1. Re: Issue with database characterset
    Mihael Pro
    1. Is there anyway i can insert and view Japanese characters properly in the above characterset database?
    you can use nchar and nvarchar2 types
    2. Is there anyway i can change the characterset of the database(i believe we cannot, but just confirming it)
    yes, see "Character Set Migration" in "Oracle Database Globalization Support Guide"
    3. If i create AL32UTF8 and import the database from above characterset, will that work?
    If data was inserted incorrectly, you can't reload it

Edited by: Mihael on Mar 1, 2013 2:22 AM
  • 2. Re: Issue with database characterset
    P.Forstmann Guru
    Arun wrote:

Not in CHAR, VARCHAR2 or CLOB data types. This should be possible with NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 or NCLOB data types that are using the national character set.
    Yes but this may require a lot of work.
    see approaches in http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10729/ch11charsetmig.htm#CEGDHJFF.
    Yes: should be easy with Data Pump.
    >
    Thanks,
    Arun
  • 3. Re: Issue with database characterset
    Fran Guru
    Mr. P. Forstmann posted the link first :P

Edited by: Fran on 01-mar-2013 2:24
  • 4. Re: Issue with database characterset
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    as i know WE8ISO8859P15 is not supported to Japanese so you need to use AL32UTF8 OR JA16SJIS Also Check Mos note :
    Which Character Set Supports Which Language [ID 62421.1]
  • 5. Re: Issue with database characterset
    Arun Newbie
    Thanks Forstmann and Mihael!!

Wonderful help.

Regards,
    Arun

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points