This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 2:46 AM by CKPT RSS

Failover when delay of 1 day.

698658 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
my configuration is as that
4 node RAC 10.2.0.3 -> 2 node RAC physical standby with 1 day lag (no standby log max performance mode).
After extensive studying Oracle doc I'm confused how to do failover in such scenario (delay in applying used).

Should I follow Oracle doc and do:
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE; --will that apply to the latest arch registered in standby ?
ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY;

or as stated in some blogs
alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile; -- no mention abut skip standby logfile in 10.2 Dataguard Concepts only in 10.1 but people used that.
alter database commit to switchover to primary;

or Should I as in one blog related to delay in apply:
alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
recover automatic standby database until time '_LATEST_TIME_';
alter database activate standby database;

Please advice .
Regards
GregG
  • 1. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    CKPT Guru
    Should I follow Oracle doc and do:
    ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE; --will that apply to the latest arch registered in standby ?
    ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY;

or as stated in some blogs
    alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile; -- no mention abut skip standby logfile in 10.2 Dataguard Concepts only in 10.1 but people used that.
    alter database commit to switchover to primary;
    There are many options available, So if there are any pending archives which haven't applied then you can give "ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH", Lets suppose you are using real time apply then of course you can use option of "Uisng standby logfile" .
    or Should I as in one blog related to delay in apply:
    alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
    recover automatic standby database until time '_LATEST_TIME_';
    alter database activate standby database;
    If suppose all the archives are already applied, then there is no point of mentioning "until time", If all the archives are applied, Then go ahead cancel MRP and use command "SQL> alter database activate standby database". That will do.
  • 2. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    698658 Newbie
    Should I cancel media recovery before issuing ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE; ?
    Is ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE irreversible I mean can I go back to 'normal' media recovery after that ?
    Regards
    GregG
  • 3. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    CKPT Guru
    Should I cancel media recovery before issuing ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE; ?
    No need to cancel, even though you have given cancel again by the above command initiates failover on the target physical standby database and recovers the current standby
    Is ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH FORCE irreversible I mean can I go back to 'normal' media recovery after that ?
    No you cannot, Once you given finish which means, It will perform failover. Database role will be changed from standby to primary. Once it is in read/write mode again you cannot start MRP. This command you must issue only if in case the primary is no more available and you have to use standby as production.
  • 4. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,
    You cannot. Its an irreversible option.
    FINISH  Specify FINISH to complete applying all available redo data in preparation for a failover.

Use the FINISH clause only in the event of the failure of the primary database. This clause overrides any specified delay intervals and applies all available redo immediately. After the FINISH command completes, this database can no longer run in the standby database role, and it must be converted to a primary database by issuing the ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY statement.
    Regards,
    Shivananda
  • 5. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    Mihael Pro
    No you cannot, Once you given finish which means, It will perform failover. Database role will be changed from standby to primary.
    Does this mean that if we create new standby controlfile or just use old copy, then we can revert to standby role?
  • 6. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    CKPT Guru
    Does this mean that if we create new standby controlfile or just use old copy, then we can revert to standby role?
    Once failover performed, New incarnation will be started and the resetlogs_change# will be changed. Then again if you pick old standby control file. then control file and datafiles will be incompatible. Got it?
  • 7. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    698658 Newbie
    Thanks.
    GregG
  • 8. Re: Failover when delay of 1 day.
    Mihael Pro
    CKPT wrote:
    Once failover performed, New incarnation will be started and the resetlogs_change# will be changed. Then again if you pick old standby control file. then control file and datafiles will be incompatible. Got it?
    Do you mean that "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE FINISH" perform resetlogs ?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points