This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 9:41 AM by gimbal2 RSS

doubt on byte code?

Murray9654 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi , does the byte code generated by 64 bit compiler runs on 32 bit machine? is byte code dependent on bit length of the machine?
  • 1. Re: doubt on byte code?
    Kayaman Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Muralidhar wrote:
    is byte code dependent on bit length of the machine?
    No.
  • 2. Re: doubt on byte code?
    Murray9654 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I know this is not relevant here but why does tomcat , Eclipse releases have separate zip files for 32 bit windows and 64 bit windows. They also contain some exe fiies. I think they are developed on java and why they have releases specific to plat farm?
  • 3. Re: doubt on byte code?
    jtahlborn Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Muralidhar wrote:
    I know this is not relevant here but why does tomcat , Eclipse releases have separate zip files for 32 bit windows and 64 bit windows. They also contain some exe fiies. I think they are developed on java and why they have releases specific to plat farm?
    don't use eclipse myself, but i believe it uses a custom gui toolkit (swt), which is a thin wrapper on the native ui toolkit for the relevant platform. as such, this toolkit most likely requires some native code, which must be compiled appropriately for the platform.
  • 4. Re: doubt on byte code?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    jtahlborn wrote:
    Muralidhar wrote:
    I know this is not relevant here but why does tomcat , Eclipse releases have separate zip files for 32 bit windows and 64 bit windows. They also contain some exe fiies. I think they are developed on java and why they have releases specific to plat farm?
    don't use eclipse myself, but i believe it uses a custom gui toolkit (swt), which is a thin wrapper on the native ui toolkit for the relevant platform. as such, this toolkit most likely requires some native code, which must be compiled appropriately for the platform.
    Right you are. It stems from the awt days and is very similar to it - im rusty but i believe the biggest difference was that swt is single threaded.

    The main executable thing in eclipse is the bootstrapper eclipse.exe however. There are also plugins that require natives. Those are the things that are influenced by the cpu architecture, although you can just safely default to the 32 bits version and not think about it. Some plugins even work better then.

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points