This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 3:27 PM by vidyas RSS

Circular Joins in OBIA

vidyas Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Gurus,

I have created a logical model where I am using conformed dimensions for reporting on multiple facts withing that Business Model.

So lets say I have two dimensions Dim - Work Order and Dim - Company and I have two facts Fact - GL and Fact - SLA

Fact GL is joined to Dim - Work Order and Dim - Company also does the Fact SLA in both physical and logical.

I have created two Presentation subject areas and called it GL Analytics and SLA Analytics and put my respective GL and SLA facts and thier dims.

When I try to pull the columns only from by dimensions Work Order Number from Dim- Work Order and Company Name from Dim - Comapany, even though these are joined to Fact -SLA table OBIEE is issuing qeury to Fact - GL instead. So I can sense a circular join problem here. I can see only results from one Company Name but not Work order number in the analysis.

However in the BI Apps OOTB data model. I consider AP - Posted Transactions , AR - Posted Transactions with Dim - GL Account(Segment 1) and Dim - GL Company ( semgment 2) they to have a similar join. However when I query only dims Account number and Company name I get results for both and the query send joins to correct table W_AP_XACT_F and joins these dim tables.

What am I doing wrong here.

could someone please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

VidyaS
  • 1. Re: Circular Joins in OBIA
    Benoît Journeyer
    Hi VidyaS,

In the properties of your presentation subject area, you could specify an implicit fact column:

For each subject area in the Presentation layer, you can set an implicit fact column. The implicit fact column is added to a query when it contains columns from two or more dimension tables and no measures. The column is not visible in the results. It is used to specify a default join path between dimension tables when there are several possible alternatives or contexts.

Hope it helps,

Benoit
  • 2. Re: Circular Joins in OBIA
    vidyas Explorer
    Perfect.! Thanks Benoît I can now tell BI Server to which fact to pick from.

Appreciate your help greatly.

Regards,
    VidyaS

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points