5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 12:44 AM by mbobak RSS

Restore Database From Data Files

nscglr
      Hi,

I have accidentally dropped partitions from existing storage. (ASM Disks) So one of ASM diskgroup is unmounted now . Some instances are running because these instance's datafiles are on local disks. And then I tried to recover datafiles by using AMDU. Now I have system datafile and other datafiles. The question is how can I restore database with these datafiles ? What should I do ? Can you assist me on this issue?
      New instance installation and creating spfile with new parameters/paths is enough?

Thanks in advance.

Db : 11gR2
        • 1. Re: Restore Database From Data Files
          asahide
          Hello,

It's tragedy :(
          Do you have any backup??
          And Is your database archive log mode or not??

New instance installation and creating spfile with new parameters/paths is enough?
          It's not good way...

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Restore Database From Data Files
            nscglr
            Yes totally tragedy. :( For some instances we had backups (data pump exports) that belongs to 3 months ago which is enough for us , we can put these exports. But for one of instance we do not have any backup and this is the most important one. And database was in NOARCHIVELOG mode.
            • 3. Re: Restore Database From Data Files
              Girish Sharma
              I have accidentally dropped partitions from existing storage. (ASM Disks)
              You have just dropped the partitions so there are chances to recover it by using partition recovery tools like [url http://www.howtoforge.com/data_recovery_with_testdisk]TestDisk. But when I check testdisk, I did not found RHEL support for it. So try to find out how to recover dropped partition in RHEL with a good and proved tool. Because I hope you can recover it, you didn't formatted the space it, just dropped the partition, so it only changes the partition table, data is there for sure.

Regards
              Girish Sharma
              • 4. Re: Restore Database From Data Files
                Osama_Mustafa
                I have accidentally dropped partitions from existing storage
                How is that ?

if you don't have no backup ---> No data
                • 5. Re: Restore Database From Data Files
                  mbobak
                  I agree with others, without a backup, recovery is going to be problematic.

There are recovery services available, that can recover even badly damaged databases, for a fee.

One example of such a service can be found at: http://www.ora600.be/

(Full disclosure, the company mentioned above is owned by my friend, Kurt Van Meerbeeck.)

Finally, I'll just mention that datapump exports are not, and should not be, considered backups!

-Mark