11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 7:51 AM by orafad RSS

Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config

Hi,

My oracle version is 11 and I have installed DB Tool for oracle software into my local machine.I am getting the below error while trying to connect through DB Tool

Code:

ora-12154:TNS :could not resolve the connect identifier specified

But when I am connecting through TOAD I am able to connect the user as well as the password.There is no problem connecting the user through toad.
      The issue is coming in the client machine.Let me also tell you that the server is located at different location. Can you please help me as to how to resolve the above issue?I checked tnsnames.ora the connection is successful and I am able to connect through TOAD .

How I should connect the user through DB Tools for Oracle?

I also verified that i have single ORACLE_HOME , in DB Tools I have pointed to the same ORACLE HOME, but still the problem persists. I am using DB Tools for Oracle trial version.

I am pretty sure the tnsnames.ora config is fine , hence it is working well with TOAD. But why I have this problem when I connect using DB tools? Please clarify.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
          yoonas
          >
          I am pretty sure the tnsnames.ora config is fine , hence it is working well with TOAD
          >

What method are you using to connect from toad, direct or TNS?

It seems to me that you are able to connect from toad when you use direct method

See if you can connect from sqlplus with service name
          start sqlplus and connect username/password@servicename

ex: connect scott/scott@TEST
          connect with ezconnect and see if you can connect
          sqlplus
          connect username/password@hostname/ip:port/service_name

ex: connect scott/scott@vmtest:1521/TEST
          There was a long thread few weeks back similar to this one, please see {thread:id=2496217}

post your tnsnames and sqlnet if your issue is not resolved yet.

Regards
          Yoonas

Edited by: yoonus on Mar 2, 2013 11:52 PM

Edited by: yoonus on Mar 2, 2013 11:54 PM
          • 2. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
            Thanks Yoonus. You are right I am able to connect TOAD using direct method and not thru TNS. That is fine. But DB Tools does have those options where we can choose TNS or Direct or LDAP? In such case how can i connect DB tools with Direct method?
            • 3. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
              yoonas
              Hi,

I have never used the tool you are talking about, i think once you are able to connect with sqlplus using service_name(tnsnames) you might be able to connect with the tool also.

You will have to check the dbtool documentation to see how different connections method work with it.

Let's try to fix the issue with service_name (check the thread i have given above)

copy tnsentry from your database server and paste it to your client tnsnames file ( if you have netmgr you can use it to add a new service)

make sure you can connect with sqlplus using service_name(username/password@service_name) and try with the tool .

Regards
              Yoonas
              • 4. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                Osama_Mustafa
                797836 wrote:
                Thanks Yoonus. You are right I am able to connect TOAD using direct method and not thru TNS. That is fine. But DB Tools does have those options where we can choose TNS or Direct or LDAP? In such case how can i connect DB tools with Direct method?
                Post your Tnsnames.ora
                • 5. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                  This is my tnsnames.ora

rfs40qa =
                  (DESCRIPTION =
                  (ADDRESS_LIST =
                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 160.110.151.6)(PORT = 1521))
                  )
                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                  (SERVICE_NAME = rfs40qa)
                  (SID = rfs40qa)
                  )
                  )
                  • 6. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                    yoonas
                    The posted tnsnames is from server or client?

Do you have database with SID "rfs40qa" ?

Please post the direct connections string as well
                    • 7. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                      Yes I have a DB named rfs40qa.
                      • 8. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                        Osama_Mustafa
                        I hope you post tnsnames.ora for client not server side post

tnsping rfs40qa
                        • 9. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                          yoonas
                          I copied your entry to my tnsnames and modified according to my environment, it keeps giving same "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

Can you create a new tnsnames file and add tnsentry(change the host/service_name/sid to match to your environment)
                          rfs40qa=
                                  (DESCRIPTION=
                                          (ADDRESS_LIST=
                                          (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=test.mylearn.com)(PORT=1521))
                                          )
                                      (CONNECT_DATA=
                                          (SERVICE_NAME=VMTEST)
                                          (SID=VMTEST)
                                      )
                                  )
                          Do a tnsping rfs40qa and post the output
                          • 10. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                            EdStevens
                            797836 wrote:
                            Hi,

My oracle version is 11 and I have installed DB Tool for oracle software into my local machine.I am getting the below error while trying to connect through DB Tool

Code:

But when I am connecting through TOAD I am able to connect the user as well as the password.There is no problem connecting the user through toad.
                            The issue is coming in the client machine.Let me also tell you that the server is located at different location. Can you please help me as to how to resolve the above issue?I checked tnsnames.ora the connection is successful and I am able to connect through TOAD .

I also verified that i have single ORACLE_HOME , in DB Tools I have pointed to the same ORACLE HOME, but still the problem persists. I am using DB Tools for Oracle trial version.

I am pretty sure the tnsnames.ora config is fine , hence it is working well with TOAD. But why I have this problem when I connect using DB tools? Please clarify.

Thanks.
                            For background
                            read: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
                            read: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)

For your specific error
                            read: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/] ora-12154tns-03505 
                            • 11. Re: Unable to connect DB using DB Tools with proper tnsnames.ora config
                              orafad
                              797836 wrote:
                              My oracle version is 11
                              Which one, client or server? Also please post full version.
                              I have installed DB Tool for oracle software into my local machine.I am getting the below error while trying to connect through DB Tool
                              For the moment, forget about "DB Tools".

Post full copy paste of command session with following commands, issued on the client machine:
                              tnsping tns-alias

tnsping 'host:port/service name'

sqlplus a/b@tns-alias

sqlplus a/b@'host:port/service name'
                              Replace tns alias, host, port and service name with specifics from your setup.