This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 5:27 PM by Dude! RSS

Analyzing Default Package Sets

Dude! Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have installed Oracle Linux 6.3 x64 and would like to find out what exactly was installed when choosing one of the default package sets from the Anaconda installer. And also to determine the real difference between the available package set defaults, such as Basic Server, Web Server etc. The official installation guide is rather vague and seems incorrect. For instance, "Desktop" does not include the Open Office suit as outlined.

To find out what gets selected, I mounted the install.img file found on the installation DVD:
# mount -o loop install.img /mnt
# cat /mnt/usr/lib/anaconda/installclasses/enterprise.py
<pre>
For instance:
tasks = [(N_("Basic Server"),
["base", "client-mgmt-tools", "console-internet", "core", "debugging",
"directory-client", "hardware-monitoring", "java-platform",
"large-systems", "network-file-system-client",
"performance", "perl-runtime", "server-platform"]),
</pre>

Are these all the package groups that are installed?

I checked some them and find the output rather useless, for instance:
# yum -v grouplist network-file-system-client
Installed Groups:
   Network file system client (network-file-system-client)
So what does the "network-file-system-client" package group actually install?

Checking the "anaconda-ks.cfg" file, it shows that group "server-policy" was installed, but it is not listed in the "enterprise.py" file. I compared it with OL5, which is even more confusing. So perhaps usr/lib/anaconda/installclasses/enterprise.py isn't what I need to check?

I could probably check the "install.log" file and "anaconda-ks.cfg" and compare them with other default installations, but is there any other options to check what packages get installed using the installer configuration files?

Thanks!

Edited by: Dude on Mar 3, 2013 5:35 AM
  • 1. Re: Analyzing Default Package Sets
    Dude! Guru
    Meanwhile I found "....comps-rhel6-Server.xml" in the repodata directory on the installation DVD, which seems to define the contents of what is included by the package groups used in the anaconda installer.

So apparently the installer is using it's own reprodata, which is different from yum. Is this correct?

The file shows the package dependencies for the "network-file-system-client" group, e.g. autofs, samba, etc. not showing in yum.

I'm not sure yet where "server-policy" stems from, but the package is empty. Maybe it's some post-install thing.

So I guess this clears the matter and doubts and I can mark the question as answered. I still wonder about the installation process and why it is so complicated and poorly documented, which is Red Hat though. ;-)
  • 2. Re: Analyzing Default Package Sets
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Well,

This post is very basic, so maybe the value I add here is zero, however, let me share what I have found.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda

Anaconda is very well documented, however you have 2 different approach for almost the same goal.

if you go with the normal ISO/DVD plus a kickstart, you are given the option to modify at will the installation, and do it automatically.

Some advanced features include put there updated install.img and updates.img

best example of this is the boot.iso from oracle for BTRFS during installation.

If you wish have an anaconda interactive installation that goes differently from the normal ISO/DVD then you may see the task as when you create a custom tailor live/dvd in other distros.

I haven't personally done that yet, as kickstart ad pre/post cover almost all the use cases i need, however, I will like to play with once and change the default Layout of LVM to one without LVM and BTRFS.

From what I have been reading, the start point is install the anaconda source rpm and then BUILD the Structure of your installation but the task is close to create an spin off of OL that is customized.

As you will be using the same rpms the end system will be just a custom installation, but the task it self is the same as creating a new linux distro.

Alvaro.
  • 3. Re: Analyzing Default Package Sets
    Dude! Guru
    Thanks for the link, but I was only trying to find out where the details are defined about what package set installs which package group. For instance, to find the details between "Basic Server" and "Desktop", apart from installing a GUI. Anyway I think I already have the answer.

Edited by: Dude on Mar 3, 2013 5:27 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points