This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 12:54 AM by Fayn_dba RSS

testing failover

Fayn_dba Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Experts;

I want to test failover on my standby, I don't want to disturb current primary as it is working fine. We are planning to bring down primary server for maintenance I will simply shutdown Production db & in the mean time I will run failover on my standby.
We will be doing maintenance on primary for about 10 to 12 hours

Now

My question is:
As now all the users are working on standby acting as primary so How I can sync Standby db with Pimary without manual switchover ?
Is there any way to recover the GAP. I simply want primary to be fully sync with standby & when it is done I will again run failover on standby to act as physical standby.

Thanks in Advance
Regards
  • 1. Re: testing failover
    asahide Expert
    Hi,

What is your DB version?
    And Do you use Data Guard option?

As now all the users are working on standby acting as primary so How I can sync Standby db with Pimary without manual switchover ?
    Is there any way to recover the GAP. I simply want primary to be fully sync with standby & when it is done I will again run failover on standby to act as physical standby.
    This link may help you.
    <<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17023/sofo.htm#CHDIBEBC>>

Regards,

Edited by: asahideO on 2013/03/04 15:30
  • 2. Re: testing failover
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello,

Hope this helps you http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/dataguard-failover/

Regards,
    Shivananda
  • 3. Re: testing failover
    CKPT Guru
    I want to test failover on my standby, I don't want to disturb current primary as it is working fine. We are planning to bring down primary server for maintenance I will simply shutdown Production db & in the mean time I will run failover on my standby.
    We will be doing maintenance on primary for about 10 to 12 hours

Now

My question is:
    Once you perform failover, Later if users are accessing and performing may be DML or select. If you perform failover the database will be opened with new incarnation, Then the primary will be in different incarnation. You cannot sync up both of them.

Instead of that consider performing switch over , Now the primary will become standby and of course standby will become as primary. Even incarnation will be the same.
    now shutdown the standby[old primary] server, and users will be accessing primary[old standby], Once everything maintenance completed then enable log shipping.
    If once everything sync then again perform the switchover. Then you can able to function as earlier without any issues.

HTH.
  • 4. Re: testing failover
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi Fayn_dba!

My question is:
    What is means user working on standby database as primary? You can use standby database for reporting tools, when you are using Active Data Guard.
    I you want open standby database you must convert standby database to Snapshot, in this case redo changes received from standby side. But didn't this changes applied.

And same time, on changes on standby database don't sending to primary. If you want multi-master transportation, then you must use Streams or Golden Gate technologies.
    Because in Data Guard configurations is single-master, in other word Single Primary.

Switch over is operation is changing database role from primary to standby or standby to primary.
    There have two type of resolution Redo GAP, Automatic and Manually resolution. Automatic GAP resolution doing Transport and Redo Apply services together.
    Manually, you can do with RMAN incremental backups, or duplicate database or restore database from backup.

It depends with protection modes. Max Protection and MAX availability require SYNC transport. For fail over testing on your data guard configuration, then you only shutdown database with abort option.
    When you using FSFO then automatically standby role changes to primary.

http://www.mahir-quluzade.com/2012/05/oracle-data-guard-11g-overview-client.html

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
  • 5. Re: testing failover
    Fayn_dba Newbie
    Dear Mahir M. Quluzade;

Thanks for your fruitful reply. I think I should use manual switchover before shutdown.

Regards
  • 6. Re: testing failover
    Fayn_dba Newbie
    Hi CKPT;

I really appreciate your helpful reply.

Thanks & warm regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points