This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 1:13 AM by CKPT RSS

local logical standby and remote physical standby

monoj Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,

My database version is 10.2.0.1.0(production) and Operating System Linux x86-64 OS Version Red Hat Enterprise 4

Below is my configuration details:

Rprimary Database:Two Nodes RAC

StandBy Database LOCAL:Standalone database

Standby Database Remote:Two Node RAC

So,my question is, i want my local physical DR to convert into logical standby and

Remote DR will operate as physical standby as it IS.

sql>EXECUTE DBMS_LOGSTDBY.BUILD

After executing the above statement in my production primary database will there be any performance HIT.

And another important is that my above statement shouldn't affect my remote physical DR database.

Just the local DR should get converted into logical standby database

Thanks and Regards
Monoj Das
  • 1. Re: local logical standby and remote physical standby
    CKPT Guru
    monoj wrote:
    Dear All,

My database version is 10.2.0.1.0(production) and Operating System Linux x86-64 OS Version Red Hat Enterprise 4

Below is my configuration details:

Rprimary Database:Two Nodes RAC

StandBy Database LOCAL:Standalone database

Standby Database Remote:Two Node RAC

So,my question is, i want my local physical DR to convert into logical standby and

Remote DR will operate as physical standby as it IS.

sql>EXECUTE DBMS_LOGSTDBY.BUILD

After executing the above statement in my production primary database will there be any performance HIT.

And another important is that my above statement shouldn't affect my remote physical DR database.

Just the local DR should get converted into logical standby database

Thanks and Regards
    Monoj Das
    In any Data Guard environment, you can have either physical or logical or even mixed[physical + logical]
    There will be no performance issue if you run the package for logical standby DBMS_LOGSTDBY.BUILD , This package provides you to manage even logical standby database.
  • 2. Re: local logical standby and remote physical standby
    monoj Newbie
    Sir,thanks You for your reply...

Actually in my case i want to have both logical and physical standby database altogether.What i am trying to say to you is that.

We already have two node RAC remote physical DR  and a local standalone local physical DR,a*nd we want to convert the local physical DR to logical DR*,*it means i want to keep my RAC DR as Physical standby*.so,when we will execute the package on primary database

exec dbms_logstdby.build;

will it cause any problem for my RAC remote physical DR.

Only local DR needs to be converted into logical.

Thanks and Regards
    Monoj Das

Edited by: monoj on Mar 4, 2013 12:17 AM
  • 3. Re: local logical standby and remote physical standby
    CKPT Guru
    monoj wrote:
    Sir,thanks You for your reply...

Actually in my case i want to have both logical and physical standby database altogether.What i am trying to say to you is that.

We already have two node RAC remote physical DR  and a local standalone local physical DR,a*nd we want to convert the local physical DR to logical DR*,*it means i want to keep my RAC DR as Physical standby*.so,when we will execute the package on primary database

exec dbms_logstdby.build;

will it cause any problem for my RAC remote physical DR.

Only local DR needs to be converted into logical.

Thanks and Regards
    Monoj Das

Edited by: monoj on Mar 4, 2013 12:17 AM
    I understood your question completely, You can convert Physical standby to logical standby either in local or remote. By executing the package it wont be any impact any performance on primary/production database. By executing package SQL apply will be enabled.
    There will be no issues with that. Again you can have both physical or logical standby in the same data guard configuration.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points