This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 5:51 AM by Dude! RSS

Oracle-User needed on LINUX

421507 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
Is it important on LINUX EE 10 that the oracle software owner has the name "oracle"?
If the user named otherwise, how many tasks I have to challenge with?
Ralf
  • 1. Re: Oracle-User needed on LINUX
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    what is EE 10?

However, the oracle user is the user you use to to run the runinstaller and perform the installation.

there is no obligation on names or groups, should not be root for security and role separation, but the name of the user and group can be anything.

In unix, the user id is the number asociated with the user, the username is 'human friendly' representacion of that user

hope this helps
  • 2. Re: Oracle-User needed on LINUX
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    ralf.heinemeyer wrote:

Is it important on LINUX EE 10 that the oracle software owner has the name "oracle"?
    IMO yes.
    Why bother to find out? Why not simply use the grid and oracle o/s usernames as recommended (by my knowledge) by all Oracle installation guides, on all Oracle versions, on all o/s platforms?

Technically - I do not think the s/w has the o/s username hardcoded anywhere. So it should work fine. With emphasis on "should", as I doubt that one of Oracle test cases in their test suite/harness for s/w development, includes testing for the scenario where a customer happens to use another o/s username.

BTW, I have never seen in almost 2 decades of using Oracle, an installation that did not use oracle as o/s user.
  • 3. Re: Oracle-User needed on LINUX
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Moderator Action:
    Your post has been moved from the Oracle Linux forum,
    to the Generic Linux forum.

That original forum is NOT for "Oracle-Software-Program-on-Linux" questions.
    Oracle Linux is a specific distribution of the OS, and you haven't asked a question related to that specific distribution.
  • 4. Re: Oracle-User needed on LINUX
    EdStevens Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    ralf.heinemeyer wrote:

IMO yes.
    Why bother to find out? Why not simply use the grid and oracle o/s usernames as recommended (by my knowledge) by all Oracle installation guides, on all Oracle versions, on all o/s platforms?

Technically - I do not think the s/w has the o/s username hardcoded anywhere. So it should work fine. With emphasis on "should", as I doubt that one of Oracle test cases in their test suite/harness for s/w development, includes testing for the scenario where a customer happens to use another o/s username.

BTW, I have never seen in almost 2 decades of using Oracle, an installation that did not use oracle as o/s user.
    I have, but it wasn't pretty. I once inherited an AIX system with 3 databases, each in their own Oracle home, and each with their own 'owning' account .. 'oracle1', 'oracle2' and 'oracle3'. I'd strongly recommend the OP to not go there.
  • 5. Re: Oracle-User needed on LINUX
    Dude! Guru
    What is the practical reason for having a different oracle user account? You do not necessarily have to be user oracle to login as SYSDBA. That's where the SYSDBA group comes into play. Simply assign other users to the SYSDBA group, provided you have file system privileges set up correctly.

Btw, every OS uses a user and group ID (number) to manage access, not the assigned name. The SYSDBA group name (dba) as such is linked in the oracle executable and set in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/config.c.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points