3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 9:43 AM by Joel_C RSS

Copy Application with replacing item name

user134954
      Hi,

i know if I copy an application I can search and then replace items by using the "search application" field.

But is there a way in apex to do this much more easier?

Lets say I have an item named item1 containing 'Test1'.

Now I want to replace all items in my new application with 'Test2'.

Do you know how to do this in Apex 4.2?

thx in advance

Thorsten
        • 1. Re: Copy Application with replacing item name
          AndyPol
          Hello

You can export application (to fxxx.sql file) then use text editor to replace :ITEM1 to :ITEM2. Next import it.
          Be careful with text editor, don't use regular windows notepad. Options are winvi or notepad++

Regards
          • 2. Re: Copy Application with replacing item name
            Z?
            AndyPol wrote:
            Hello

You can export application (to fxxx.sql file) then use text editor to replace :ITEM1 to :ITEM2. Next import it.
            Be careful with text editor, don't use regular windows notepad. Options are winvi or notepad++

Regards
            Without the colons in front of the item name surely?

Cheers

Ben
            • 3. Re: Copy Application with replacing item name
              Joel_C
              AndyPol wrote:
              Hello

Regards
              I wouldn't recommend this approach - making changes to the export files can lead to odd results and can be exceptionally difficult to debug. Even with the most sophisticated search&replace functions, Its quite easy to miss code, due to the way the apex export splits up blocks - you can end up with words being split across multiple strings e.g.
              p:=':ite';
              p:=p||'m1';