This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 1:06 PM by matthew_morris RSS

Why can I not get student guide ahead of time?

JackBox Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I recently signed up for an oracle class "Oracle Database 11g Administration Administration Workshop II". I have taken numerous other classes from Oracle and I do not understand why we must wait until a few days before the class starts before we get our Student Guides. The classes I have taken from Oracle are usually very condensed and cover an ocean of information in a mater of a few days. Having to wait until the last minute before we get our class materials I think is a great disservice to us students especially when these classes are $3500. I think it would be very beneficial to be able to get these materials weeks ahead of time so I could be prepared for class.
  • 1. Re: Why can I not get student guide ahead of time?
    bigdelboy Pro
    JackBox wrote:
    I recently signed up for an oracle class "Oracle Database 11g Administration Administration Workshop II". I have taken numerous other classes from Oracle and I do not understand why we must wait until a few days before the class starts before we get our Student Guides. The classes I have taken from Oracle are usually very condensed and cover an ocean of information in a mater of a few days. Having to wait until the last minute before we get our class materials I think is a great disservice to us students especially when these classes are $3500. I think it would be very beneficial to be able to get these materials weeks ahead of time so I could be prepared for class.
    - Two reason I can this of:

[1] The guide may get updated prior ot your course, it's important to have the class all signing from the same sheet.

[2] If you were sent it early, and then cancelled, that would create a problem. And there are people who would do that!
  • 2. Re: Why can I not get student guide ahead of time?
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    I do not know the answer to this question, but you may want to ask OU this question. You can go to www.oracle.com/education and participate in live chat with an OU rep.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 3. Re: Why can I not get student guide ahead of time?
    JackBox Newbie
    I already did this. They basically told me I can not get the workbooks ahead of time but they would be more than happy to sell me the self study guides.

The logic they use is that the course study material may change before the class begins. My thought on this is I asking for a PDF file. Even if the material does change just give me an updated PDF file.

Also the logic that this study material is copyrighted and their intellectual property and whatever I get that. But if I purchase the class and at a later time decide not to attend the class then charge me for the pdf file.
  • 4. Re: Why can I not get student guide ahead of time?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Well, I can't help you on the subject of getting the PDF ahead of time. However, your stated reason for wanting it is to prepare ahead of the class. That I can help with. The following URL contains a couple dozen links to articles on the Oracle Learning Library and other locations for topics on the 1Z0-053 exam. If you read through them ahead of time, you will be much more familiar with the material that will be covered in-class.

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-053

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points