This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 9:04 PM by Royal_A RSS

Different environments in Oracle App.

Royal_A Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am new to Oracle App, earlier i use to work in Java development. Recently i have taken 3 months training. I want to ask what all different type of environments we do have in Oracle App and how we move changes between them.

In java development we use to have following environment
1. Dev
2. QC
3. UAT
4. Production, Live environment.

As per my understanding in Oracle also we use to need all above environment however we would refer the same with different terms. if it is then please tell me the equivalent terms of above environment in Oracle.

Regards Royal
  • 1. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    HamidHelal Guru
    Royal_A wrote:
    Hi All,

I am new to Oracle App, earlier i use to work in Java development. Recently i have taken 3 months training. I want to ask what all different type of environments we do have in Oracle App and how we move changes between them.

In java development we use to have following environment
    1. Dev
    2. QC
    3. UAT
    4. Production, Live environment.

As per my understanding in Oracle also we use to need all above environment however we would refer the same with different terms. if it is then please tell me the equivalent terms of above environment in Oracle.

Regards Royal
    Application development in Pl/SQL with forms and reports
    there is two things
    1. Development environment
    2. production environment.

Hope this helps
  • 2. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Andreas Weiden Guru
    I don't think that the environmental setup is a thing specifc to java or forms or any other technology.

In some cases your have just dev and prod, in some cases you have dev, test and prod and in some cases you have even more environments. Personally i tend to have at least dev, test and prod.

Hope this helps,
    Andreas
  • 3. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Royal_A Newbie
    Thx for the reply.....

Appreciated :)

I'm wondering what different and necessary phases we have to deal with from dev to production phases in oracle apps...

Regards Royal
  • 4. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    HamidHelal Guru
    Royal_A wrote:
    Thx for the reply.....

Appreciated :)

I'm wondering what different and necessary phases we have to deal with from dev to production phases in oracle apps...
    Hello Royal
    In Development environment, we develop forms,reports and write codes and then test.

In production environment, we transfer the form and reports from development and run the application where large number of user has access.

Hope it's clear.

Hamid
  • 5. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Are you referring to Oracle EBS ? If so, pl post in the EBS forums - https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=3

HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Royal_A Newbie
    Hii :)

Actually, not abt EBS... Its about AIM methodology in oracle.

Thx for the helpful reply...

Regards
    Royal
  • 7. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Royal_A Newbie
    Thx for the reply Hamid ... :)

Can you provide a link through which i can read abt it(phases from dev to production) with more details. I have googled alot,, but did not find a accurate one.

That will be very helpful.

Regards
    Royal :)
  • 8. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    HamidHelal Guru
    Royal_A wrote:
    Thx for the reply Hamid ... :)

Can you provide a link through which i can read abt it(phases from dev to production) with more details. I have googled alot,, but did not find a accurate one.

That will be very helpful.
    Hi Royal
    I have no link about that. In plain simple answer is.
    You can develop forms and reports with Oracle forms and Reports Developer and test with this.

For production environment you need Application Server And Database server.
    Database server is related with database.
    Application Server is related to serve forms and report to the end user. You store the form and reports in the application server after testing.

Hope this helps

Hamid
  • 9. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    CraigB Guru
    Royal,
    What you describe is the "Ideal" environment. From my experience, not all development shops use all four environments. Typically, there is at least a Dev, Test and Prod. Not all have the UAT environment.
    ...how we move changes between them.
    Oracle recommends you always compile your Form executable on the deployment server - even if you develop on Windows and deploy to a Windows server. This is especially important if you develop on Windows and deploy to a Non-Windows server; the Forms executable is not portable like that.

Craig...
  • 10. Re: Different environments in Oracle App.
    Royal_A Newbie
    Hii ... :)

Thanks for all for your helpful replies. Really appreciate your effort.

I will get back you, if i need some more help...

Thanks again.... :))

Regards Royal....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points