This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 6:25 AM by Levi-Pereira RSS

NFS voting disk migration

JKJ_Ora Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Team
Two nodes at site A and Two nodes at site B are configured in Extended RAC cluster. Both sides have their own SAN's(which are also in cluster through ASM)
There is a third site which id 200km away and has a NFS voting disk configured.
This cluster is running in RHEL 4.7 and Oracle 10.2.0.5

My question is if we want to migrate this Voting disk from current NFS share to other place(which are all the option? can we configure this on a new SAN shared mount point? or a new NFS again?)

Can someone experienced on this help to answer here? any doc or steps which will enable us to migrate this with all the options?

Thanks in advance to you.
  • 1. Re: NFS voting disk migration
    JKJ_Ora Newbie
    Can anyone in forum help me to get the answer or let me know if this question needs more clarity?
  • 2. Re: NFS voting disk migration
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Hi,
    There is a third site which id 200km away and has a NFS voting disk configured.
    My question is if we want to migrate this Voting disk from current NFS share to other place(which are all the option? can we configure this on a new SAN shared mount point? or a new NFS again?)
    What you mean migrate only "Quorum Voting"?

About what option you will use: If you have a option of use 3 Storage Systems in different sites (mean the storages must not share same point of failure, such as eletrical power) then use SAN if not then use NFS.

The problem in a stretch cluster configuration is that most of the installations only have two storage systems (1 at each site), which means that the site that houses the majority of the
    voting disks is a potential single point of failure for the entire cluster.
    To prevent a full cluster outage, Oracle will support a third voting disk on an inexpensive, low-end standard NFS mounted device somewhere in the network.

Regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 3. Re: NFS voting disk migration
    JKJ_Ora Newbie
    Thanks Levi. My question was actually if we can migrate third site nfs based voting disk to a new location which i came to know is possible by replacing existing third nfs based voting disk by a new available nfs voting share.

Further I would like to know what is the network bandwidth required for third site voting disk on NFS over a WAN? I would like to know oracle recommended speed in terms of gpps/mbps/kbps?
  • 4. Re: NFS voting disk migration
    JKJ_Ora Newbie
    So far I could not get any update from other resource other than oracle community where they are assuring my current 50mbps speed b/w my site A&B, should suffice the need to setup voting disk on NFS at third site.

If any thing you guys come to know then please update here.
  • 5. Re: NFS voting disk migration
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Read it:
    http://orainternals.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/whats-in-a-voting-disk/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points