This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 11:23 PM by Nitesh. RSS

Required Information about Certifications ..

Nitesh. Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hii all,
I have completed my Oracle SQL Certified Expert (10g) and OCA(10g) and i want to do OCP now so i need some suggestions as well which one i should prepare i mean OCP (11g) or OCP(12c) as I became DBA here so i need to complete OCP also but i unable to decide as which one to prepare as which is valuable and worth knowledgewise and adanced features too .. Can any one give some ideas and first of all Is it possible to upgrade from OCA (10g) to OCP (11g) or (12c).

Regards,
Nit..
  • 1. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    matthew_morris Expert
    I have completed my Oracle SQL Certified Expert (10g) and OCA(10g) and i want to do OCP
    now so i need some suggestions as well which one i should prepare
    Since you have your 10G OCA, the most 'normal' of options would be to complete it, You will require only a single test and a training course (assuming you have not already taken an acceptable one).
    Can any one give some ideas and first of all Is it possible to upgrade from OCA (10g) to OCP (11g) or (12c).
    Yes, it is possible to upgrade from 10G OCP to 11G OCP through the exam:

*1Z0-050: Oracle Database 11g: New Features for Administrators*

There are currently no exams out (upgrade or otherwise) for 12c. There will be eventually. The production version of the test would be about 25 weeks out even if the announced a beta tomorrow, since the betas are normally 14 weeks long and then they have 11 weeks to process it before opening the test up in production status. Oracle Education will (presumably) follow their normal naming/numbering convention and have two upgrade tests:

*1Z0-060: Oracle Database 12c: New Features for Administrators*
    *1Z0-065: Oracle Database 12c: New Features for 10G Administrators*

The first will allow 11G administrators to upgrade to 12c, the second will allow 10G administrators to upgrade (skipping 11G certification).

My own advice would be to get the 10G, then upgrade to 11G, and then 12c when it comes out. This will give you the widest knowledge of the features of the various releases of Oracle. Personally I originally was certified in Oracle 7, and have since upgraded to 8i, 9i, 10G, and 11G. As soon as 12c comes out, I will be upgrading to it in turn.
  • 2. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    994900 Newbie
    Hello Dear,

You should go for 11g-OCP because 12c is not implemented in real environment and now days it is not popular...
  • 3. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    991897 wrote:
    Hello Dear,

You should go for 11g-OCP because 12c is not implemented in real environment and now days it is not popular...
    Well, the reason that 12c isn't implemented in real environment and is hmm not popular (?) because it's yet to be released. I think bigdelboy's reply is most appropriate.

Aman....
  • 4. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    bigdelboy Pro
    I didn't reply to this thread. Agree with Matthew ... 1z1-060 is ready to go soon ....
  • 5. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    Nitesh. Explorer
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas but i have taken Oracle Administration training from NIIT as hope you ppl may be aware about this institute NIIT(National Institute of Information Technology) .. Its because i have got responisibilities of DBA in my concern so i want to get knowledge of advanced features and write atleast one certification and so i have decided finally as OCP (11g) will be better know because if i write 11g then automatically features which were available in OCP(10g) also wil be covered .. Am i right ????
  • 6. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    Nitesh. Explorer
    Thank you frd thanx a lot for your kind suggestions .. I will do directly OCP 11g itself know and later will try for OCM after finishing implementing OCP concepts .. It will be perfect know ...

Rgds,
    Niteshprk.
  • 7. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    matthew_morris Expert
    if i write 11g then automatically features which were available in OCP(10g) also wil be covered .. Am i right ????
    That's not really true, but don't take this as a suggestion that pursuing 11G is the wrong choice. A majority of the features that exist in 11G were also present in 10G. You could even carry that further and say a majority of the features existed in 9i. Each release is a refinement of earlier ones -- they don't rebuild the database from scratch. However, in the Administration exams, it is not always made obvious which features were introduced in which release. You shouldn't feel that if you learn 11G that you will automatically know 10G as well because that's just not true. You will have no easy way to know what the differences between the two releases are.
    I will do directly OCP 11g itself know and later will try for OCM after finishing implementing OCP concepts ..
    Planning for the OCM when you obviously are new to Oracle is premature. I've been working with Oracle for 17 years and I would not consider scheduling for the OCM exam without several months of preparation. That is a certification you go for after you've worked in Oracle for several years.
  • 8. Re: Required Information about Certifications ..
    Nitesh. Explorer
    Yes Matthew,OCM is not that much easy task so only i told tat i will do it in later stage after several years as me too working in a concern here and trying to learn as much as possible and implement too ... Lets see anyways thanks for your suggestions and so ofcourse i am speaking with an expert here as 17yrs experience .. Great :) all the best ..

Rgds,
    Nitesh ..

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points