This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 8:52 AM by pawii RSS

creating mountpoint after installation

pawii Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i had installed linux oel and created only one mount point u01 but now i want to create another mount point
so how can i create a new mount point now??
i had already allocated all spaces to the root swap uo1 and temp so how can i add a new mount point now??
  • 1. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Hello

provide a bit of information.

first the output of these commands

vgdisplay -v
    mount
    df -h

then, what mount point you like to add ??

if you have / and /u01 what mount point are you needing ?
  • 2. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Moderator Action:
    Your duplicate post that you had originally placed in the Database Installation forum has been removed.

Also:
    Handle:      987018
    Status Level:      Newbie
    Total Posts:      63
    Total Questions:      *28 (13 unresolved)*
    Name      pawii
    Location      jaipur
    Occupation      student
    So very many question in just a few short number of weeks.
    Maybe you need to go back and work all your forum threads through to a conclusion before you post new questions.
  • 3. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    987018 wrote:
    i had installed linux oel and created only one mount point u01 but now i want to create another mount point
    so how can i create a new mount point now??
    i had already allocated all spaces to the root swap uo1 and temp so how can i add a new mount point now??
    Why would you want another mount point - on the same disk? Having 3 partitions as 3 mounts on the same disk, is not somehow better/faster/more robust than 2 partitions with 2 mounts on the same disk.

One needs to justify mounts and partitions - and not blindly follow documentation that, for example, recommends 2 or 3 mount points. Understand the reasons for that recommendation. Understand the limitations and restrictions in your environment. Determine how to best meet business requirements, given that recommendation and these limitations.

As for the /u01 mount recommendations from Oracle for RDBMS - that is in my view old and out of date with respect to server and storage and database technology of today. I prefer ASM and raw devices for stand-alone database servers too - provides superior storage management, more flexibility, and direct I/O on a raw device is faster than I/O via a kernel file system driver to a file on a cooked device.
  • 4. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    pawii Newbie
    your requisites are

1.[root@pawii ~]# vgdisplay -v

Finding all volume groups

2.[root@pawii ~]# mount

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/sda5 on /u01 type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/sda3 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
    /dev/hdc on /media/Enterprise Linux dvd 20100405 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=0)

3.[root@pawii ~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 7.8G 4.7G 2.8G 64% /
    /dev/sda5 7.8G 3.2G 4.3G 43% /u01
    /dev/sda3 996M 113M 832M 12% /tmp
    tmpfs 1014M 0 1014M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hdc 2.9G 2.9G 0 100% /media/Enterprise Linux dvd 20100405
    [root@pawii ~]#

i want to add another mount point u/02
    i had already u/01 but i want another one for s/w
  • 5. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    pawii Newbie
    actually i had first posted it there then some one told me to post it here so and what so bad in asking too many questions??
    i am a newbie to oracle so i had a lot of questions in my mind i want aal of them to be solved if you are interested then reply otherwise carry on with yourself
    and next time pls focus on my question rather then my questions
    i hope u understand the difference between a question and questions
  • 6. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    pawii Newbie
    i am just asking how can i do it
    how can i add another mount point /u02 after installing linux

and i am a student i had no business this is the second time some one has said this if some one asks a question here that doe snot mean he was asking to tune his business need he was asking because he wants to know how to do it if there is a option to do it
  • 7. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    EdStevens Guru
    987018 wrote:
    i am just asking how can i do it
    how can i add another mount point /u02 after installing linux

and i am a student i had no business this is the second time some one has said this if some one asks a question here that doe snot mean he was asking to tune his business need he was asking because he wants to know how to do it if there is a option to do it
    The reason people ask for a 'business need' is because people often have pre-conceived and ill-conceived solutions to an unstated problem. If we know what the real problem is we can often give a better solution that what the OP as heading for. Even as a student, some issues are purely academic (I want to learn how to do this) and some still relate to a "business" problem (I'm running out of space on /u01).
  • 8. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    EdStevens Guru
    987018 wrote:
    actually i had first posted it there then some one told me to post it here so and what so bad in asking too many questions??
    Not in itself, but at some point it starts to look like you are doing no research on your own and are just looking to the forum to be your own private tutor.
    And when you leave old questions marked as 'unanswered' it does two things:
    1) gives the appearance that you don't consider the help here to be useful. It is a slap in the face of those who tried to help
    2) People waste their time opening and reading threads that have been long dormant with no resolution.
    i am a newbie to oracle so i had a lot of questions in my mind i want aal of them to be solved if you are interested then reply otherwise carry on with yourself
    and next time pls focus on my question rather then my questions
    i hope u understand the difference between a question and questions
  • 9. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    pawii Newbie
    how to delete old questions??
    and they are marked unanswered because they are still unanswered and i need to know the answer so its a no slap situation till now
  • 10. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    987018 wrote:
    how to delete old questions??
    You cannot.
    Only Site Administrators and some forum moderators can do that.
    and they are marked unanswered because they are still unanswered and i need to know the answer so its a no slap situation till now
    ... then perhaps you should go back and work on them until you have resolved them. You would then be able to complete each of those forum threads.

Alternatively, you can go back and add a post into each of them and describe why you are abandoning the issue. Then toggle the thread to "Answered" because a deliberate abandoning is still some sort of an answer.
  • 11. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    Dude! Guru
    People who come here for help often have a goal in mind and get stuck on what they think is the path towards the solution, but often do not realize the implications or complexity of the solution. And unfortunately, many of these people often do not have a clue about what information is actually necessary to answer their questions. Ignorance is bliss.

There is no forum rule here that suggests to answer any question in any way the poster demands, or to provide any answer at all. There are other forum rules though you might want to keep in mind: https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=1278.

If you request step by step information regardless of whether it is the best way to solve your problem, then you should better say so in your initial posting or explain it in a friendly manner when the matter occurs.

There is no good excuse to demonstrate lack of feedback or to leave past questions orphaned without providing a final conclusion. It is sometimes difficult and means to work towards a solution. However, to my understanding, the forum does not exist to make other people work at your fingertip. Trying to provide a clear question and final conclusion that can be useful for other forum members is a matter of courtesy and a necessary token of appreciation.

For what it's worth:

Re: how to reassign disk space from root on OL 5
    Re: how to reassign disk space from root on OL 5
  • 12. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    pawii Newbie
    you locked my thread i think you are not getting my questions
    creating database in other mount point
    here the question is that i want to create another mount point after installation
    and there the question is i want to install oracle in mount point u01 and creating database in another mount point u02
    so these are two different questions and demands different threads

1.i want to create another mount point after linux installation

2. i want to create database in another mount point which is empty ie u01 contains oracle sw and u02 is empty so how can i do it

• 13. Re: creating mountpoint after installation
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    I have edited your most recent post to include a link to what your were referring to.
    That helps everyone else understand your statements a bit better.
    i think you are not getting my question
    I most definitely "got" your question.
    Go back and read the response in that thread.
    so these are two different questions and demands different threads
    No. It's the same gosh-darn procedure and you need to spend more time reading documentation instead of posting to online forums. That is why a product's documentation exists -- for you to teach yourself about something.

Edit:
    Now that you have edited your original post of this thread to become something absolutely different, and therefore unrelated to the responses you got in this thread, it is now also locked.

Edited by: rukbat on Mar 7, 2013 11:54 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points