This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 10:59 PM by HakanBiroglu RSS

How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's

mjglbt Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi all,

I could use some help please.

I have everthing installed and working on the VMs but now I want to use Application Designer but I must be doing something wrong.

I installed the Oracle client on windows and created tnsnames.ora. I can't connect to the database from windows to vm.

I have some questions which might help me fix this.
The directory that was mentioned to put tnsnames.ora in (C:\app\Mike\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin\) was not there so I had to create it. Was that what I was supposed to do or did the install go bad?

For the windows host file what should the ip addresses be? I used the IP Addresses of the eth1 network interface from both guests which I created.

As far as the PeopleTools on windows I used PT 8.52 but with no patch will that work even though the VMs are PT 8.52.06? So if I need the patch in order for App Designer to work how can I get the patch I think I need an account to do that. I think it mentions in the OVM doc that they are included somewhere so should I use those instead?
  • 1. Re: How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    <strike>With virtualbox vm's I assume that you mean the OVM templates converted to virtualbox.</strike>
    Didn't notice the OVM category :)

Which Oracle Client installer did your use?

You could use the following download from MOS for Database 11.2..02 (since Peoplesoft database is also delivered at 11.2.0.2)
    Patch 10098816: 11.2.0.2.0 PATCH SET FOR ORACLE DATABASE SERVER

From the patch set download only p10098816_112020_platform_4of7.zip, which is your database client. The rest you will not need to be able to use Application Designer and Datamover.

Once downloaded start the installer and choose option Runtime (do not choose Instant Client or Administrator).

Now that you have your connectivity, you can start the PIA-AppBatch vm.
    switch to psadm2 user and go to $PS_HOME.

Here you will find two files
    toolsclient.zip (PeopleTools 8.52, use client only)
    toolspatchvcd.zip (PeopleTools patch 8.52.06, , use client only)

Copy these files to your windows workstation and install them in that order.
    Copy the tnsnames from the Database vm to your oracle client install dir network\admin dir and you should be ready to start using Application Designer/Datamover.

For more detailed information see the post from Nicolas:
    http://gasparotto.blogspot.nl/2012/09/psovm-fscm-91-feature-pack-2.html
    http://gasparotto.blogspot.nl/2011/10/peopletools-852-client-installation.html

Regards,

Hakan

Edited by: Hakan Biroglu on Mar 9, 2013 1:23 PM

Edited by: Hakan Biroglu on Mar 9, 2013 1:30 PM
  • 2. Re: How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's
    mjglbt Newbie
    What can I do if I don't have access to MOS?
  • 3. Re: How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    Try this [url https://updates.oracle.com/Orion/PatchDetails/process_form?patch_num=10098816&aru=13246067&release=80112020&plat_lang=233P&patch_num_id=1294815&]link and login with your oracle account.
    Or use [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html]Oracle Client 11.2.0.1

Otherwise you need a MOS account ...
  • 4. Re: How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's
    mjglbt Newbie
    I was able to get it to work. I originally installed the 64-bit oracle client which is wrong you need the 32-bit version. So I deinstalled the 64-bit and installed 32-bit.

I also copied the required files for pt8.52 and patch and installed that.

If I do a full install (I think that is what it is called) rather then client would I also get the sqrs too?

Once I get this answer I can close this as answered

Thanks
    Mike
  • 5. Re: How to use Application Designer with virtual box vm's
    HakanBiroglu Oracle ACE
    Yes will get everything.
    Note you will have the Peopletools sqrs.

In order to get the the application sqrs you will need to install the application media or copy these sqrs from the db vm as you mentioned earlier. Do not forget to copy sqc as well.

Hakan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points