This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2013 5:26 PM by mseberg RSS

Dataguard in 10g db

007 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am using oracle 10g in rhel 5 server trying to create a standby database by taking backup in primary database and moving the backup to secondary db server and issuing the duplicate command.But my primary db has the mount point */data/u01* and my standby db has the mount point */u01/*.

Does the backup file location of primary and standby db should be the same??? If no how to duplicate with different backup locations??

Regards,
  • 1. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Duplicating a Database to a Remote Host with a different Directory Structure

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/rman/diff_database_duplicating.html

My example is Oracle 11 and not for Standby. However the key to success is the same, these two parameters :

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=('/u01/app/oracle/oradata/RECOVER2', '/u01/app/oracle/oradata/RECLONE','/u01/oradata/RECOVER2','/u01/oradata/RECLONE')
    LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=('/u01/app/oracle/flash_recovery_area/RECOVER2', '/u01/app/oracle/flash_recovery_area/RECLONE')

h3. Changed my RMAN answer.

You were correct. Left everything there so you see the mistake.

Best Regards

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Mar 9, 2013 10:50 AM
  • 2. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    teits Journeyer
    Hi,

Does the backup file location of primary and standby db should be the same???
    it not mandatory. you can set the location in pfile/spfile or in your rman duplicate statement.
    for example:

DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE FOR STANDBY DORECOVER SPFILE
    SET "db_unique_name"="foou" COMMENT ''Is a duplicate''
    SET "db_create_file_dest"="/u01/stby2"
    SET "db_create_online_log_dest_1"="/u01/stby2/log"
    set control_files="/u01/app/oracle/oradata/stby/control1.ctl"
    SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2="service=stby2 ASYNC REGISTER VALID_FOR=(online_logfile,primary_role)"
    SET FAL_SERVER="prim_inst" COMMENT "Is primary"
    NOFILENAMECHECK;

Tobi
    HTH
  • 3. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    mseberg Guru
    Tobi;

If this is for a Standby database would you not have to use DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT?

Otherwise when you switchover the database then incorrect values would be hardened into the control file for the new Primary.

For other types of duplication you are correct. But for Standby I believe this is an issue.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 4. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    007 Newbie
    Hi mseberg,

Thanks for your reply. I am not speaking about the duplication of database with different directory structures. i have set already used the below mentioned parameters in my pfile

log_file_name_convert='/data/u01/app/oracle/oradata','/u01/app/oracle/oradata'
    db_file_name_convert='/data/u01/app/oracle/oradata','/u01/app/oracle/oradata'

My question is about the backup location of Primary and standby database. Previously i took an RMAN full back up of primary database and moved it to Standby db server flash recovery area location. After that when i run the duplicate command it shows the error that backup files could not be located for the duplication. So the backup location path should me same as primary in standby server also?????????

Regards,
  • 5. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    mseberg Guru
    Understood.

I have always kept them the same. Never tried changing them. You might be able to use CATALOG as a work around.

A symbolic link might do the trick.

Hey you were right about the RMAN question. I found my notes and made a correction.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 6. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    teits Journeyer
    mseberg;

the question is actually about backup location....

But can you explain more on
    If this is for a Standby database would you not have to use DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT?
    Otherwise when you switchover the database then incorrect values would be hardened into the control file for the new Primary.
    thanks
  • 7. Re: Dataguard in 10g db
    mseberg Guru
    Yes.

Not sure how I misunderstood that.

I think the symbolic link might work for what he's doing.

Upon further review your file location in the RMAN might work fine. I has tunnel vision on SET NEWNAME which you are not using of course.

So as long as the Standby Control knows about the location we are good.

Have read many of your posts and enjoyed them. You have a very good understanding of Oracle and it shows in those replies.

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points