8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 6:38 AM by Tridus RSS

How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?

Hello Friends and Experts,

I have spent 3 frustrating days looking for a dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider for our .net app.

We are currently using Oracle 9+i+ and we would like to connect our .net app to the Oracle database.

Based on my research so far, I have downloaded ODAC for 9i for 10g and for 11g but so far, have not been able to find the Oracle DataAccess Provider dll.

Does any one of you experts know how I can get the dll?

I am really stuck here.

Thanks a lot in advance

Edited by: sonny on Mar 9, 2013 9:22 AM
        • 1. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
          Mark Williams-Oracle
          Hi,

It's not clear to me what the issue is. All of the downloads from the ODAC page contain the required assemblies/files:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-101290.html

Can you descibe a bit more what the issue is?

Regards,
          Mark
          • 2. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
            Ok sure.

According to most of the readings I have done, I download one of those ODAC zipped files, unzip and then in one of the folders, there is Oracle DataAccess assemblies.

I have not been able to find any of the assemblies.

In one of those articles, I was told the assemblies will be in the ODP.NET folder.

Then I can grab the assembly into the bin directory of my .net app.

I have not been able to find the assemblies.

First of all, for .net app attempting to connect to an Oracle 9i app, what ODAC should I be downloading?

More importantly, what folder will I find the assemblies I am looking for?

Hope this is clear now.

Thanks alot
            • 3. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
              Mark Williams-Oracle
              The version to download depends on your requirements.

If you are needing to connect to a 9i database (not sure what version you have, you have not specified) you will need to have a compatible version of the Oracle Client software.

There is a fully managed version of the provider which is currently in beta, but that requires at least version 10.2 of Oracle Database.

You essentially have two options as far as the ODAC download is concerned:

- An Oracle Universal Installer version which includes a full client

- An XCopy version which includes the Instant Client distribution

The full Oracle Universal Installer version obviously includes the Oracle installer utility so you must execute the setup.exe file after extracting.

The XCopy version does not include or need the full installer. The instructions for using the XCopy version are included in the readme.htm file at the root of the directory where you extracted the contents of the .zip file.

Then I can grab the assembly into the bin directory of my .net app.

You need to do more than just put the .NET assembly (Oracle.DataAccess.dll) in your bin directory for all versions other than the managed provider.

However, say I downloaded the ODAC1120320Xcopy_x64.zip file from:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

I then extracted the file to C:\Users\markwill\Downloads\ODAC1120320Xcopy_x64

There will be 2 versions of the Oracle.DataAccess.dll file:

C:\Users\markwill\Downloads\ODAC1120320Xcopy_x64\odp.net4\odp.net\bin\4\Oracle.DataAccess.dll (for version 4 of .NET Framework)
              C:\Users\markwill\Downloads\ODAC1120320Xcopy_x64\odp.net20\odp.net\bin\2.x\Oracle.DataAccess.dll (for version 2 up to 3.5 of .NET Framework)

But, as I said above, you can't just take either of these files and drop it into your bin directory and expect things to work.

The unmanaged versions of the provider have native Oracle Client file dependencies.
              • 4. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
                I am not sure if I am the one misunderstanding you or not.

I indicated that we have Oracle 9i; I guess they come in different versions. I didn't know that.

I am a .net developer trying to connect to an Oracle db. I can find that info on Monday since no one is at work today.

I do want to say that I need one for framework 4.0

Now, you said something very interesting - that I need to do more than just grab the assembly.

That statement right there might be my problem.

I was under the impression that once the extraction is done, all you need is grab the assembly from some folder.

If I run the setup, is it going to install another version of Oracle or just spit out the assembly?

Thanks for your help and patience - much appreciated.
                • 5. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
                  Mark Williams-Oracle
                  Here's the list of Oracle Database versions that are part of the 9i product line:

The problem when using a marketing label like "version 9i" is that it's not clear which actual version is in use or meant.

The reason it matters is because with all 9i versions having been out of mainstream support for so many years now, some versions of the Oracle Client will only work with 9.2.0.4 version or later. My Oracle Support note "Client / Server / Interoperability Support Matrix For Different Oracle Versions [ID 207303.1]" contains details about supported versions of client and server.

I do want to say that I need one for framework 4.0

I believe that ODAC 11.2 Release 2 (11.2.0.1.2) and higher includes support for .NETFX 4 (older versions do not as I recall).

I was under the impression that once the extraction is done, all you need is grab the assembly from some folder.

From the readme.htm file for the XCopy package:

"After unzipping the files, products must be installed and configured by executing the install.bat"

Now, having said that, I do know people manually copy files from the xcopy distribution for deployment; however, this is not tested or supported. See Alex's postings in this thread for related discussion on that topic:

Re: Problem connecting to Oracle

The full Oracle Universal Installer version must be done by running setup.exe in the extraction location and following the wizard steps (or by using a response file).

If I run the setup, is it going to install another version of Oracle or just spit out the assembly?

The full installer version will definitely install a new, full Oracle Home for the client software.

The XCopy version will create an Instant Client home, put items in the GAC, create registry keys, etc. but it does not change your system path, register the install with the Oracle Central Inventory, etc. so it's not quite as extensive as the full install.
                  • 6. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
                    Thanks for all your help Mark
                    • 7. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
                      Mark Williams-Oracle
                      You're welcome.

Also, another point which may seem obvious but sometimes people overlook, any machines where the application will be deployed must also have the appropriate versions of an Oracle Client and ODP for the application to function correctly. This is much easier with the managed provider (no client) but since you are using a 9i database the managed provider is not an option as we've already discussed.
                      • 8. Re: How can I get dll for Oracle DataAccess Provider?
                        Tridus
                        sonny wrote:

This is only true if you're using the managed provider beta. As Mark mentioned, that won't work if your database server is running Oracle 9. It requires 10 or 11.

The unmanaged providers (the ones currently available not in beta) require some type of installation to work.