8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 9:08 AM by EdStevens RSS

how to recover till point of failure

dear all,
      i m a newbie and i have one q regarding rman --i have yesterday backup and i want to recover the database till point of failure (eg.point of failure of any datafile or tablespace or redolog or controlfile).how can i recover the database? tour help higly apreciated.thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        • 1. Re: how to recover till point of failure
          Sunny kichloo
          Till what point you want to recover your database.Also what is your OS and Oracle Database Version.

Read this

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmflash.htm#CHDDACBJ

http://ss64.com/ora/rman_pitr_example.html
          • 2. Re: how to recover till point of failure
            dear friends,
            i drop two tables i.e table1 at 8:00 and table2 at 8:20.i recovered the database using rman with catalog until time 8:18.i got the dropped table
            table2 but when i checked the table1 i m getting erro-table1 doesnt exist in the database.why RMAN didnt recover the table1(though table1 is dropped before table2) your help is higly appreciated.thanks to all my dear friends.
            • 3. Re: how to recover till point of failure
              Mihael
              i drop two tables i.e table1 at 8:00 and table2 at 8:20.i recovered the database using rman with catalog until time 8:18.i got the dropped table
              table2 but when i checked the table1 i m getting erro-table1 doesnt exist in the database.why RMAN didnt recover the table1(though table1 is dropped before table2) your help is higly appreciated.thanks to all my dear friends.
              you can check when you drop tables with LogMiner, just use correct time and you will recover them
              also you can use "flashback table <name> to before drop" instead of rman
              • 4. Re: how to recover till point of failure
                thanks for replying michael,i gave the right time.first table1 is dropped than table2 is dropped.when i recover database using rman with catalog using clause "until time dropped time of table2" i recoverd table2 but table1 is not recovered,why?
                • 5. Re: how to recover till point of failure
                  EdStevens
                  938946 wrote:
                  dear friends,
                  Because you recovered until 8:18. At 8:18, table 1 had already been dropped. So at 8:18 the state of the database was that there was no table1. And that the is point to which you recovered your database.

Rman did this by applying all of the redo (that is, by re-applying all of the DDL and DML) that occurred between the time of the restored data file and the 'recover to' time you specified. Since that time was after you dropped table1, it re-applied the DROP statement.
                  • 6. Re: how to recover till point of failure
                    Mihael
                    rman exactly perform recovery of whole database till time that you specified. To check yourself, perform recovery to some time and open database in read only mode. Check if table exists. Then close database and perform recovery to 1 minute forward. Again open database in read only mode and check tables. And so on.
                    • 7. Re: how to recover till point of failure
                      great answer edsteven thanks......i got my answer.one more q if i want to recover table1 with table2 then how and what i have to do to recover both table1 and table2?
                      • 8. Re: how to recover till point of failure
                        EdStevens
                        938946 wrote:
                        great answer edsteven thanks......i got my answer.one more q if i want to recover table1 with table2 then how and what i have to do to recover both table1 and table2?
                        Obviously, you would recover the database to a point in time when both tables still existed.