This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 11:27 AM by Daniel Merchán RSS

WebCenter portal download

:) Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i have ADF version 11.1.2.3.0, with ADF if i develop an application do i need WebCenter portal ? if so in the link [download link|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/webcenter/portal/downloads/index.html] what i should download if i want WebCenter portal, i have Windows 7 Laptop
  • 1. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán Expert
    Hi.

ADF 11.1.2.3.0 es ADF 11g R2 and is based in JSF 2.0. WebCenter Portal still based in ADF 11g R1 (JSF 1.2) and needs ADF versions 11.1.1.x to work ('x' depends of the patch set used).
    You shouldn't mix ADF R2 framework with ADF R1 framework

If you want develop Enterprise Portal Applications (WebCenter Portal) you have to download JDeveloper 11.1.1.6 (is the last version) and download WebCenter bundles for it.
    With JDeveloper 11.1.1.6 you can create and test locally Portal Application.

If you want to install an environment with WebCenter Services 2.0 like Discussions, Content Management... you should install WebCenter Portal and WebCenter Content.
    To install a full functional environment with WebCenter download from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/webcenter/portal/downloads/index.html
    1) Oracle Database 11g
    2) Oracle WebLogic 10.3.6
    3) RCU for WINDOWS to create the database schemas.
    4) Oracle WebCenter Content 11g 11.1.1.6 for Windows if you plan to have content management.
    5) Oracle Web Tier (OHS).
    6) WebCenter Portal. The install files are generic. This means that include the software for Linux and Windows environments.

In the additional products you have:
    1) Oracle Secure Enterprise Search. If you have plans to include crawling in your portal.

I hope this help you :).

Regards.
  • 2. Re: WebCenter portal download
    i am an expert in oracle forms, can i design an enterprise application using oracle ADF, if so how can i design pls help me on this

i want to close this topic hope i will get a better reply from u at least
  • 3. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán Expert
    Hi.

If you are migrating Oracle Forms to ADF then you need only ADF Framework and you can use ADF 11g R2 for it. You don't need WebCenter Portal Technology.

Do you have requirement to integrate your ADF applications in WebCenter Portal?
    If you need to integrate your ADF applications into a WebCenter Portal then you need to know:
    1) ADF 11g R2 is not compatible with WebCenter Portal. You have to downgrade to ADF 11g R1.
    2) Expose those applications as Bounded Task Flow or Portlets.

If only your requirement is ADF Framework this is the correct forum: JDeveloper and ADF

I hope this help you.

Regards.
  • 4. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán wrote:
    Hi.

If you are migrating Oracle Forms to ADF then you need only ADF Framework and you can use ADF 11g R2 for it. You don't need WebCenter Portal Technology.

Do you have requirement to integrate your ADF applications in WebCenter Portal?
    If you need to integrate your ADF applications into a WebCenter Portal then you need to know:
    1) ADF 11g R2 is not compatible with WebCenter Portal. You have to downgrade to ADF 11g R1.
    2) Expose those applications as Bounded Task Flow or Portlets.

If only your requirement is ADF Framework this is the correct forum: JDeveloper and ADF

I hope this help you.

Regards.
    i am not migrating anything to ADF, but my question is can i develop an enterprise application ADF ? if i do so, do i need webcenter portal to host the application ?
  • 5. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán Expert
    Hi again.

Do you know the concept of ECM/Portal?. If not review ECM and Portal concept functionalities.
    Portal Applications are think for integrate Services 2.0 like Discussions, Collaboration, Content Management, Mail, Analytics, PeopleConnection, consume Portlets... Do you need this?. If not then ithe response is easy... Pure ADF Application.

You don't need WebCenter Portal to host ADF Applications. You integrate ADF applications in WebCenter Portal if you want to extend Portal OOTB functionallity.

In addition, for WebCenter Portal you require a specific license for WebCenter Suite.

You can build a pure ADF application (Unbounded Task Flow) and run it in WebLogic without WebCenter.
    If you share your requirements then we can help you better :).

Regards.
  • 6. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán wrote:
    Hi again.

Do you know the concept of ECM/Portal?. If not review ECM and Portal concept functionalities.
    Portal Applications are think for integrate Services 2.0 like Discussions, Collaboration, Content Management, Mail, Analytics, PeopleConnection, consume Portlets... Do you need this?. If not then ithe response is easy... Pure ADF Application.

You don't need WebCenter Portal to host ADF Applications. You integrate ADF applications in WebCenter Portal if you want to extend Portal OOTB functionallity.

In addition, for WebCenter Portal you require a specific license for WebCenter Suite.

You can build a pure ADF application (Unbounded Task Flow) and run it in WebLogic without WebCenter.
    If you share your requirements then we can help you better :).

Regards.
    finally :) we have an enterprise application which was designed using java. this application has a lot of bugs, my company thinks Oracle forms is obsolete , i want to redesign the entire application using ADF, but i don't know what can be achieved with ADF, with Oracle forms i can design menus and attach independent forms to that menu, what i want to know is can i design an enterprise application using ADF like the way we can do with Oracle forms. i find myself in a wonder land of ADF. hope you can help me on this.

my requirement will be a login screen which will direct the user to the application, the application will have various tabs, which can be accessed with proper privileges
  • 7. Re: WebCenter portal download
    Daniel Merchán Expert
    Hi.

When you said Oracle Forms is the reason about i said "migrating".

All the Oracle Forms are being migrated to ADF 11g R2. You only need a ADF Application :).

Thanks and good luck with your migration!.

Regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points