4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 3:09 PM by AndyPol RSS

Where is my APEX admin page?

Hi
      I'm trying to get APEX installed and up and running.
      I'm at the following place in the installation guide:
      http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37097_01/doc/install.42/e35123/otn_install.htm#autoId22
      The problem is, I can't get a login, or admin page. I'm just following the guide, and I have no clue here.
      I've been able to get the listener running:
      INFO: Oracle Application Express Listener initialized
      Application Express Listener version : 2.0.1.64.14.26
      Application Express Listener server info: Grizzly/1.9.49

Mar 10, 2013 6:50:26 PM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
      INFO: GRIZZLY0001: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.49 - 10/03/13 18:50
      Mar 10, 2013 6:50:26 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute
      INFO: http://localhost:8080/apex started.
      The guide says to point the browser to "http://hostname:port/apex/apex_admin" so I'm trying "http://localhost:8080/orcl/apex_admin" and I get a 404, page not found.
      Can anybody help me please? Running 11.2, SID = orcl (note the installation guide says "apex" refers to the SERVICE NAME but as per the installation guide I entered the SID for my DB instead).

Btw if I enter "localhost:8080/apex" I get forwarded to a blank page with url "http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4550:1:12551047855701".

Many thanks,
      Jason

BANNER
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
      PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
      CORE    11.2.0.1.0      Production
      TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
      NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
        • 1. Re: Where is my APEX admin page?
          AndyPol
          Hello

During Apex Listener instalation process one of many steps are settings for Oracle Application Express Images. You have to set path to image folder (from apex installation folder).

Regards
          • 2. Re: Where is my APEX admin page?
            Hi

I set the path to the image folder. But why would that cause a 404 even if I hadn't? I've been looking through lots of posts of people who have had the same problem as me (unable to connect to APEX in their web browser) and nobody so far has mentioned the image folder.
            C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25>java -jar apex.war
            This Listener instance has not yet been configured.
            Please complete the following prompts

Enter the location to store configuration data:C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config
            Mar 10, 2013 6:47:22 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.cmds.ConfigDir execute
            INFO: Set config.dir to C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config in: C:\Users\J\Downloads\Prog
            rams\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\apex.war
            Mar 10, 2013 6:47:24 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFolder logConfigFolder
            INFO: Using configuration folder: C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex
            Enter the name of the database server [localhost]:
            Enter the database listen port [1521]:
            Enter 1 to specify the database service name, or 2 to specify the database SID [1]:2
            Enter the database SID [xe]:orcl
            Enter the database user name [APEX_PUBLIC_USER]:
            Enter the database password for APEX_PUBLIC_USER:
            Confirm password:
            Enter 1 to enter passwords for the RESTful Services database users (APEX_LISTENER,APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER), 2 to use the same passwo
            rd as used for APEX_PUBLIC_USER or, 3 to skip this step [1]:2
            Mar 10, 2013 6:48:36 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFiles update
            INFO: Updated configurations: defaults, apex, apex_al, apex_rt
            Enter 1 if you wish to start in standalone mode or 2 to exit [1]:1
            Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\st
            atic
            Enter the HTTP port [8080]:
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:22 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute
            INFO: NOTE:

Standalone mode is designed for use in development and test environments. It is not supported for use in production environments.

Mar 10, 2013 6:50:22 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute
            INFO: Starting standalone Web Container in:  C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:22 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Deployer deploy
            INFO: Will deploy application path = C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex\apex\WEB-IN
            F\web.xml
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:23 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Deployer deploy
            INFO: Deployed application path = C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex\apex\WEB-INF\w
            eb.xml
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:23 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFolder logConfigFolder
            INFO: Using configuration folder: C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex
            Configuration properties for: apex
            cache.caching=false
            cache.directory=/tmp/apex/cache
            cache.duration=days
            cache.expiration=7
            cache.maxEntries=500
            cache.monitorInterval=60
            cache.procedureNameList=
            cache.type=lru
            db.hostname=localhost
            db.password=******
            db.port=1521
            db.sid=orcl
            debug.debugger=false
            debug.printDebugToScreen=false
            error.keepErrorMessages=true
            error.maxEntries=50
            jdbc.DriverType=thin
            jdbc.InactivityTimeout=1800
            jdbc.InitialLimit=3
            jdbc.MaxConnectionReuseCount=1000
            jdbc.MaxLimit=10
            jdbc.MaxStatementsLimit=10
            jdbc.MinLimit=1
            jdbc.statementTimeout=900
            log.logging=false
            log.maxEntries=50
            misc.compress=
            misc.defaultPage=apex
            security.disableDefaultExclusionList=false
            security.maxEntries=2000
            db.username=APEX_PUBLIC_USER
            Using JDBC driver: Oracle JDBC driver version: 11.2.0.3.0
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:26 PM oracle.dbtools.rt.web.SCListener contextInitialized
            INFO: Oracle Application Express Listener initialized
            Application Express Listener version : 2.0.1.64.14.26
            Application Express Listener server info: Grizzly/1.9.49

Mar 10, 2013 6:50:26 PM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
            INFO: GRIZZLY0001: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.49 - 10/03/13 18:50
            Mar 10, 2013 6:50:26 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute
            INFO: http://localhost:8080/apex started.
            • 3. Re: Where is my APEX admin page?
              Hi Andy

Many thanks - you pointed me in the right direction. I hunted down the config file that contains the specification for the path to the images directory. In my case (running on W7) it is "C:\Users\J\Downloads\Programs\OracleAPEX\apex_listener.2.0.1.64.14.25\config\apex\apex.properties".

I found in there was a reference to a directory called "static" that I had specified at installation (not having any idea what the "images" directory was supposed to be...so I just made one up, mkdir-ed it and entered that as the path to the images directory).

So I changed the line in there to "apex.images=C\:\\Users\\J\\Downloads\\Programs\\OracleAPEX\\apex_4.2.1_en\\apex\\images" and retstarted the Apex Listener (ctrl-c, then restart). This caused an error the first time around (I think because I had just commented out the original line), but I did it again and hey presto, I can now see the admin page.

FWIW, in the interim I also noticed there were a bunch of "EXPIRED & LOCKED" apex accounts, so I unlocked and reset passwords for all those.

Hope this helps somebody in the future.
              Cheers,
              Jason
              • 4. Re: Where is my APEX admin page?
                Solved.