This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 5:36 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Web Service in java HELP!!!!

996036 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi everyone,

i'm new in web services and i have to make a web service in java that it will accept an xml file from a client. The client will have to connect with the server in a particular port and ,through the web service, the client will have to send the xml file. Firts of all, i would like to ask if it 's something difficult to be done. Secondly i would appreciate if someone gave me a guideline about how to start the implementation of the web service.

Thanks in advance. :)
  • 1. Re: Web Service in java HELP!!!!
    gimbal2 Guru
    993033 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Firts of all, i would like to ask if it 's something difficult to be done.
    Since you know nothing: oh yeah.
    Secondly i would appreciate if someone gave me a guideline about how to start the implementation of the web service.
    Buy a book, read it. Or scour the internet using google and read all you can about java webservices.

You're nowhere near the point where you should be asking questions in a forum. Your first step is: learn the technology. Google is your friend. I will at least kick you in the right direction: popular web services technologies are JAX-WS for SOAP and JAX-RS for RESTful. Nobody can decide for you which one you should use.

Good luck!
  • 2. Re: Web Service in java HELP!!!!
    996036 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply !I have read a lot of things about web service. i m reading about a week now for web services :) But there is a lot of stuff and i cant decide what technology is better for my situation. Give me just a hint about it please !!
  • 3. Re: Web Service in java HELP!!!!
    Kayaman Guru
    993033 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply !I have read a lot of things about web service. i m reading about a week now for web services :)
    Well, you probably won't be able to do it with just a week of reading.
    But there is a lot of stuff and i cant decide what technology is better for my situation.
    What other technologies have you considered besides webservices?
    Give me just a hint about it please !!
    We can't just "give a hint" and you'll be magically able to write a webservice. Programming doesn't really work that way.
    I suggest you continue reading, and ask again when you have more specific questions.
  • 4. Re: Web Service in java HELP!!!!
    gimbal2 Guru
    Kayaman wrote:
    993033 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply !I have read a lot of things about web service. i m reading about a week now for web services :)
    Well, you probably won't be able to do it with just a week of reading.
    Maybe a "hello world" type of webservice producer + consumer, if you know Java and web environments properly. JAX-RS is a bit easier in my opinion though, its a very well-defined API and I had a setup between Java and Ruby on Rails running in an afternoon. If you take the time to read and understand the material first of course. Especially the understanding part is what people tend to want to skip over.
    We can't just "give a hint" and you'll be magically able to write a webservice. Programming doesn't really work that way.
    Indeed, and software engineering works even less like that. It happens to be bloody hard.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points