This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2013 4:24 AM by Pardesi Balam RSS

Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?

994677 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks,

Looking for a solution to a problem we have encountered. Looking to create our own menu structure on our thin client kiosk sessions.

At the moment, we are running Sun JDS3 on our sunrays, using an application list to run some programs. They all appear under an "applications" tab on the menu, and I'm looking for a way to add additional menu items into there. Have been trawling the net looking for some solutions, but no luck as of yet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance,

George
  • 1. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    Pardesi Balam Newbie
    Create A New Menu
    # mkdir /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes/jds3/.kiosk/menus/Settings
    # cd /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes/jds3/.kiosk/menus/Settings
    # vi .directory ======== Create a hidden file called .directory and add the below entery.
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Settings
    Comment=Kiosk Applications
    Icon=gnome-applications
    Type=Directory

===> save and close the file. then restart the session.
    thanks.
  • 2. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    994677 Newbie
    Thanks for that, that did the trick. I can now edit the menu structure. The question now is how do I add applications into this menu? Also, can the menu's be edited so they differ between kiosk sessions? I only need the additional menu to appear on certain clients.

Thanks again,

George
  • 3. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    Bjoern Rost Oracle ACE Director
    applications are defined at /etc/opt/SUNWkio/applications/ or through the GUI at Advanced->kiosk mode->New Application

Bjoern
  • 4. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    994677 Newbie
    Thanks for getting back. I can add applications OK to the applications menu, but I'm not sure what I have to change to add them to the new "Settings" menu I created, as previous posts?
  • 5. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    994677 Newbie
    Anybody any ideas? I'm not sure how to add applications to the sub-menu I've created, I'm guessing there is something needing added to a file to point the menu toward .conf files somewhere, but I'm really not sure where this may be.

Thanks again,

George
  • 6. Re: Sunray 5.2 Kiosk mode - Creation of Submenu's?
    Pardesi Balam Newbie
    hi sorry for delay

as per the this default sunray kiosk mode their is two way's that you can change, either you can rename the "Applications" option or you can change to another option "Setting" but you must have to select any one. as per this design.

I . for Rename:
    #cd /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes/jds3/.kiosk/menus/applications
    #vi .directory
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Applications -> <any name>
    Comment=Kiosk Applications
    Icon=gnome-applications
    Type=Directory
    or
    # mv /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes/jds3/.kiosk/menus/applications /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes/jds3/.kiosk/menus/meapplications

II. if you want to change the default selection you can change hear.

# vi /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/jds3/applauncher
    <find the below line in this script file.
    KIOSKMENUDIR=$HOME/.kiosk/menus
    KIOSKAPPMENUDIR=$KIOSKMENUDIR/Applications -> Setting (example: change the application to setting it will added in this setting by default.)

In addition to that you can create your Owen kiosk application as per your recruitment for that review the kiosk application documents.

Edited by: 933034 on May 25, 2013 2:23 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points