2 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 7:08 PM by 966626 RSS

Migrating to NetBeans 7.3 + Java 8 from 7.2 + Java 7 and JFX2.2

I downloaded a JDK 8, NetBeans 7.3 and installed them.
      After that i opened 2 projects -one of them uses JavaFX- i have tried to make those projects to run/compile without luck... the error says "
      C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\NetBeansProjects\ABC\nbproject\jfx-impl.xml:589: Error:
      JavaFX runtime JAR not found.
      BUILD FAILED (total time: 4 seconds)
      "
      No Default JavaFX platform was created by NB and i created one pointing to the JDK 8...
      any ideas on how to conigure this?
      Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Migrating to NetBeans 7.3 + Java 8 from 7.2 + Java 7 and JFX2.2
          jsmith
          NetBeans 7.3 is somewhat incompatible with Java 8.

See the thread:
          Re: javafx platform is not correctly defined "Thread: javafx platform is not correctly defined"

And NetBeans Bug:
          "Bug 225326 - Allow usage of early JDK8 builds for FX projects in early NB8 builds"
          http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=225326

To at least make Java 8 usable on NetBeans 7.3, what I did was create a new JavaFX application in NetBeans, then manually remove the compiletime libraries (File | Project Properties | Libraries | Compile) which NetBeans was unable to resolve for JavaFX and manually add the right ones in by choosing Add Jar Folder... under the libraries dialog and selecting the jdk/jre/lib deploy, plugin and javaws jars and the jfxrt.jar from jdk/jre/lib/ext.

Alternately, you might want to try software which might have better support for Java 8 previews:
          - Eclipse with e(fx)clipse plugin
          - Idea 12.1
          - A NetBeans lambda preview

Happy yak shaving day:
          http://projects.csail.mit.edu/gsb/old-archive/gsb-archive/gsb2000-02-11.html
          • 2. Re: Migrating to NetBeans 7.3 + Java 8 from 7.2 + Java 7 and JFX2.2
            You must update Ant and Java8 at least to the Build 82... Build 87 will not work.
            After installing JSDK 8 you'll need to copy the /lib/ext/javafxrt.jar to /lib... then everything will work.