This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 2:08 PM by user11143768 RSS

Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?

user11143768 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but will not start up on server reboot

Instead it opens up a grub command prompt, with all possible options, but no specific recommendation.

Question
======

What needs to be entered or edited in the grub session ?

( This is for a stock standard linux 64-bit server install for database )
On previous installs , grub was configured automatically, but apparently not in OEL 6.3

Thanks in advance

Bruce
  • 1. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    Hi there

I have seen that couple of times

One, when I am reinstalling, and I forget to set a /boot partition, and somehow keep using the old grub.

the other option is you are using LVM, and grub won't boot from LVM.

You should re install and have /boot partition from 200MB to 500MB, then / and swap, on normal partitions or LVM

If none of these options is your case, you should boot with the DVD, enter in rescue mode and provide more information about the layout.

However, will be faster to just reinstall fresh.

Alvaro.
  • 2. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    Dude! Guru
    The Oracle Linux installation works fine, but you have not configured your system properly. Perhaps you removed the drive where you stored the Grub configuration menu and files, or you use an invalid partition setup. Since you are not giving any information about your computer setup, partition layout, or how you installed the system, further help is not possible. Btw, there is no OEL, the product is called Oracle Linux or OL.
  • 3. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    user11143768 Newbie
    Hi Alvaro

Did in fact create /boot partition, 200 Mbytes as first partition on SDA

There is no old grub , because I reformatted both SATA disks when creating the required partitions

The grub prompt looks like a dead end.

Will follow your suggestion and re-install

Having created /boot , is there some part of the install process where I need to point at /boot specifically ?

Cheers
  • 4. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    Dude! Guru
    A boot partition of 200 MB is too small. I suggest to use at least 512 MB, which is the default. When you reinstall the system, make sure to replace the default master boot record (MBR) of sda and install GRUB to the /boot partition, usually sda1. Note that /boot must be a primary partition and not extended (logical), which might be the case if you use any (obsolete) existing dual-boot configuration.

Edited by: Dude on Mar 13, 2013 3:44 AM
  • 5. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    alvaromiranda Explorer
    uhmm,

if you have two disks that can be an issue.

Both are SATA ?

Any chance the 2nd one was at some point linux ?

when you start the installation, and you start getting the questions to setup the linux install, you can press ALT+F2 and get a shell

in that shell, if you can delete both hard disks do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=100

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=100

That will delete both hard drive partitions for sure.

Some times, the motherboars have more than 1 chipset, and the bios try to boot what we think is the 2nd disk, in a server happen between the local sata and the sas/scsi controllers

give a try deleting both dsks, and follow dude recommendation, 500 MB /boot as sda1 using ext4 partition (on ol6, ext 3 on ol5)

Alvaro
  • 6. Re: Oracle enterprise linux installs OK, but opens up a grub command prompt ?
    user11143768 Newbie
    Hi Alvaro

Now we are on the right track .....

if you have two disks that can be an issue. ... YES

Both are SATA ? YES

Any chance the 2nd one was at some point linux ? ... first disk (sda ) was previously OL 5.3

when you start the installation, and you start getting the questions to setup the linux install, you can press ALT+F2 and get a shell

in that shell, if you can delete both hard disks do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=100

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=100

That will delete both hard drive partitions for sure. ..... COOL

Some times, the motherboars have more than 1 chipset, and the bios try to boot what we think is the 2nd disk, in a server happen between the local sata and the sas/scsi controllers

give a try deleting both dsks, and follow dude recommendation, 500 MB /boot as sda1 using ext4 partition (on ol6, ext 3 on ol5)

=========================================

Appreciate your feedback , looks like a sure fix.

I had since resolved this problem by installing OL6.3 on the SECOND sata disk, sdb.

However, your approach is a better one.

Thanks

Bruce

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points