This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 1:42 PM by Brandye Barrington RSS

1z0-102 topics = enough?

User472463-OC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I found this link about the 1Z0-102 exam http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-102&p_org_id=&lang=

By your experience, I would like to know if these topics listed are the only topics I must to study to pass on this test.

I know if I study more, I will get more knowledge, but to focus on this exam, is it enough? If no, what more can I study?

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I would like to know if these topics listed are the only topics I must to study to pass on this test.
    Those are the official topics from Oracle Education. Any questions asked on the test will fall into one of those categories. There are never any surprise topics that aren't available from the list.
  • 2. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    Roger25 Explorer
    Probably in 1Z0-102 not, but there are some exams where users complain that they encountered questions which are not related to any topic, nor the response is in the official study guides (Recommended training and preparation).
  • 3. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    matthew_morris Expert
    there are some exams where users complain that they encountered questions which are not related to any topic,
    I've taken a bunch of Oracle exams and I can say that no question has ever struck me as being outside the bounds of what the topics listed are. That said, with just a single sentence (or sentence fragment) to work with, it is not always easy to determine exactly what all information Oracle Education intends to be covered by a particular topic. When I'm writing study guides, I often have to do as much research to figure out what is meant by a given topic as I do pulling together the information needed to cover it.

I'm inclined to believe that most if not all of any such complaint are cases where someone did not realize the full extent of what was covered under a particular topic. This is not necessarily the testers fault, because, as I've said, the topics are sometimes vague. I have sometimes been surprised on exams by questions that I didn't expect, but I could still map that question to one of the topics from the list.
    nor the response is in the official study guides (Recommended training and preparation).
    The official preparation isn't guaranteed to cover every single question that may appear on the exams. The Oracle courses and the exams normally are in very close lockstep in terms of the information taught and the information tested. Taking the recommended course, however, doesn't mean that you should not also prepare using a second method as well.
  • 4. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    Roger25 Explorer
    I think this recommendation training to something like "this is what we recommend. (so, _recommend_). read this and you will be able to pass the exam".
    Probably that's why OU courses are too expensive, and the student guides are only for internal use, and for those attending the course.

In my opinion, the recommended training SHOULD BE guaranteed to cover every single question that may appear on the exams, because again, it's what Oracle recommends. If I have a disease and a doctor recommends me to take drug X (and not "maybe you should take is a second drug as well"), I will certainly take it.

So, somehow I should not necesarrily prepare using a second method as well, but if Oracle thinks so... that's it.
  • 5. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    matthew_morris Expert
    In my opinion, the recommended training SHOULD BE guaranteed to cover every single
    question that may appear on the exams, because again, it's what Oracle recommends.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. My own opinion on certification tests is that the primary value is in the preparation for them, not in getting a piece of paper. As such, you prepare using multiple sources always. Oracle Education is the best single source of training material for a certification. I say as much in the following article.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oracle-Certification:-Satisfying-the-Hands-On-Training-Requirement&id=7185703

That said, I don't believe you should expect 100% coverage of the exams from any single source. You disagree. That's OK.
  • 6. Re: 1z0-102 topics = enough?
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    I'd like to weigh in on this discussion from Oracle's point of view. Matthew has actually covered Oracle's point of view very well for me :) But I'd like to add to what he has said. Oracle views certification as a combination of skills, knowledge, experience and training. Our goal with a certification is to make you better at what you do. The more study and research you do, the better prepared you will be - not just for an exam, but for your job. Each exam is typically based on one or two (very rarely more than 2) training classes. That course will be the recommended training. Most of the time the course covers all topics. However, we don't map each item directly back to the training material. Sometimes the topics are more conceptual than that. We absolutely encourage you to consult multiple resources while preparing for exams. When you get a job in your area, you won't have one single resource to pull from, you'll need the background and experience of consulting many different areas for answers to your questions in 'real life.'

The process of preparing for a certification exam should help to prepare you to handle 'real life' scenarios - not just pass an exam. This is the real value of certification.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points