This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 9:38 AM by Erik Janssen RSS

FMW Webtier upgrade question

user13118348 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am a newbie to FMW so this question maybe stupid.

I have a Linux 64 bit server running WEBLOGIC 10.3.5 and FMW Webtier 11.1.1.2.0

I successfully upgraded weblogic to 10.3.6. I upgraded my domain and nodemanager as well. I am able to successfully start nodemanager as well as weblogic.

I want to upgrade FMW Webtier from 11.1.1.2.0 to 11.1.1.6.0 on this machine. So I downloaded ofm_webtier_linux_11.1.1.6.0_64_disk1_1of1.zip and installed (not configured) webtier 11.1.1.6.0

My question is: Do I need to "configure" the upgraded webtier? When I try to configure using config.sh script, it wants to create a new instance (instance2) because instance1 already exist. Is this something I need to do in order to have a completely successful upgrade of webtier to 11.1.1.6.0?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: FMW Webtier upgrade question
    Erik Janssen Pro
    I haven't got a chance to do any webtier patching myself but from [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e16793/toc.htm]documentation it seems that you need to apply patch [url https://updates.oracle.com/ARULink/PatchDetails/process_form?patch_num=13516876]13516876 to your existing Middleware home rather than install a new one. There should be no additional steps afterwards :
    If you are installing Oracle Identity Management, Oracle Business Intelligence, or Oracle Web Tier, then you must perform a software only install and select the existing Middleware home and Oracle home you want to patch. There is no need to configure or re-configure your existing software.
    Thanks,
    EJ
  • 2. Re: FMW Webtier upgrade question
    user13118348 Newbie
    Thanks for your response Erik.

I downloaded the patch (p13516876_111160_Linux-x86-64.zip) you noted and the contents and size of the patch is exactly the same as the full install (ofm_webtier_linux_11.1.1.6.0_64_disk1_1of1.zip) that I downloaded.

So I think the (ofm_webtier_linux_11.1.1.6.0_64_disk1_1of1.zip) can be used as a completely new install of webtier 11.1.1.6.0 or upgrading existing software.
  • 3. Re: FMW Webtier upgrade question
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Ah yes, webtier patch set will indeed allow you to do a new install.

According to the documentation, it should automatically update your instance configuration files. You could check your opmnctl program (MW_HOME/INSTANCE_HOME/bin/opmnctl) to see what it says :
    # Define the command actions and usage descriptions
    #

$OracleInstance = '/refresh/app/oracle/product/Middleware_ClassicProducts/asinst_1';
    $OracleHome = '/refresh/app/oracle/product/Middleware_ClassicProducts/as_1';
    taken from a Classic Products install

Does it point to the new 11.1.1.6 WT ORACLE_HOME or does it point to the old 11.1.1.x one?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points