This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 5:40 AM by Udo RSS

Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX

richard_cunningham Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello, we're just in the process of decomissioning a load of servers and I came across an old Oracle DB box which has an install of APEX (well, HTMLDB) and a backend DB on an Enterprise Edition server, after battling with Oracle for 2 days I finally managed to get it to a state where I think it's restored successfully onto XE but up on the final "startup" I was presented with:

ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced
ORA-39712: XE edition server cannot open database

I really want\need to get this DB off of this server, because as you all probably know - Oracle DB EE isn't exactly cheap, and seen as though it's used for this historical app I kinda need to get it off of this hardware\software and into a low-end VM for it to chug away happily and be accessed when needs be...

Another option I though of, if I were to do a reinstall of XE, and then data pump the info from the EE to XE? Would that work?

I apologies for any numptiness in this question, but I really haven't got any experience with Oracle - and it's been a learning curve of much frustration coming from my easy to use MSSQL interfaces!

The steps I took were:

1) Run nid to rename the DB from "XE" to "ESTALTST"
a) Do some faffing about with tnsnames and listener.ora to get it to realise ESTALTST
2) Take a backup of logs\db from source
3) Catalog the backups
4) Restore control file
5) A lot of messing about getting the DB happy with the structures of things
6) recover database;
7) alter database resetlogs; <- this is where it said I had to do startup upgrade;
8) shutdown immediate; startup upgrade;
9) Where I am now.

Thanks,

Rich.
  • 1. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Udo Guru
    Hi,

as the error message says, you can't recover EE to XE directly. XE has some "hardcoded" things in it that also concern database-level objects, so XE software can only run an XE-created database.
    Another option I though of, if I were to do a reinstall of XE, and then data pump the info from the EE to XE? Would that work?
    That's the way to do it. And you could have saved the time, especially what you've invested in your step 5). ;)
    Please note that XE ships with APEX and recovering an older APEX version (or even HTMLDB) to XE using a dump probably won't work or at least cause you some severe headaches. I'd suggest to use the recommended (and documented) way to migrate an APEX instance
    - transfer the schema(s) used by your HTMLDB workspace(s) using a dump
    - export and import your workspaces
    - export and import your applications
    Please consult the APEX documentation that corresponds to you source and target APEX release. If you don't want to upgrade your APEX to a recent version (right now), uninstall the APEX shipped with XE and install the desired version from the [url http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/all-archives-099381.html]Prior Release Archives.

Another side note for dumping: Probably your old EE database instance didn't use the UTF-8 charset used in XE. Depending on the data stored in your application schemas, you might need to convert the (default) byte-based boudaries for text fields to the character-based definition.
    (Example: A column defined with "my_text VARCHAR2(100)" would be able to store 100 bytes per default semantics. In UTF-8, characters may use more than one byte to be stored, so the data you store in a single-byte-charset might exceed the limit when being stored with UTF-8 charset. You need to modify the column to be defined as "my_text VARCHAR2(100 CHAR)", so the limit would be 100 characters, no matter whether a character is represented by a single or multiple bytes.)
    This might also affect your applications if they use PL/SQL code with byte-based variable definitions.

-Udo
  • 2. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Cheers, I'm currently running a dump right now - it's taking quite some time... been running 18hrs to dump a 1Gb DB and the .sql is only 100Mb... -_-

After this has done it's thing I'll hopefully get this data in and be ready to rock with this new server.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
  • 3. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Just wondering, if the DB files are about 1Gb, should my dump file be 157Mb? I'd have expected it to be at least a few hundred meg after the dump...
  • 4. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Udo Guru
    Just wondering, if the DB files are about 1Gb, should my dump file be 157Mb?
    I don't know, that depends on the actual amount of data stored in your database.
    The filesize is no reliable measure for this. To give you a simple example: You have a "order entry" schema where you started storing your data 10 years ago. You initialized your data files with just a few megs and let Oracle do the extension automatically, so it grew and grew and is about 1 GB today. Now you decide that you don't need data that is older than two years in that schema and delete all outdated data. After you did that, your data files still be that 1 GB, though you only use about 20 percent of it. Oracle doesn't shrink your data files automatically...

To get a good estimation, you can run something like
    SELECT f.file_name,
                            CEIL( f.bytes / 1024 / 1024 ) "SIZE_MB",
                            CEIL( f.bytes / 1024 / 1024 ) - FLOOR( SUM( NVL( fs.bytes, 0 ) ) / 1024 / 1024 ) "USED_MB",
                            FLOOR( SUM( NVL( fs.bytes, 0 ) ) / 1024 / 1024 ) "FREE_MB",
                            CEIL( f.maxbytes / 1024 / 1024 ) "MAX_MB"
                       FROM dba_free_space fs,
                            dba_data_files f
                      WHERE fs.file_id(+)     = f.file_id                    
                   GROUP BY f.file_name,
                            f.bytes,
                            f.maxbytes,
                            f.blocks,
                            f.maxblocks,
                            f.autoextensible
                   ORDER BY f.file_name;
    to see how much space is actually used in your data files. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean that your dump has to have that size. There are a few aspects (like compression) that could cause a difference...

-Udo
  • 5. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Well, I managed to get it all in and from what the guy said who uses the data - it all looks valid so far, ~4 days, and a lot of learning and I managed to squeeze an EE DB into XE, and import an APEX app from 2005. :)
  • 6. Re: Restoring an Oracle Enterprise Edition DB into XE for use with APEX
    Udo Guru
    I'm glad to hear you've got it working now!
    To help others searching for similar requirements, please mark this thread as answered and any helpful or correct answer to your question accordingly, so relevant posts can be spotted easily.

Thanks,

Udo

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points