This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 10:57 AM by 558116 RSS

Problems updating using free repos

996668 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When I try to run yum update I get the following:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/latest/i386/getPackage/libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386.rpm: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386: failure: getPackage/libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386.rpm from el5_latest: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

All the other packages download fine.
  • 1. Re: Problems updating using free repos
    EdStevens Guru
    993665 wrote:
    When I try to run yum update I get the following:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/latest/i386/getPackage/libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386.rpm: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
    Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
    libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386: failure: getPackage/libgcj-4.1.2-54.el5.i386.rpm from el5_latest: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

All the other packages download fine.
    Try again, and again. The server has been flaky the last few days.

Yesterday I was trying to install the oracle-validated package on a vm. There are about 9 files that need to be downloaded, and the first pass it failed on about 4 of them (I don't remember exact numbers) -- and those 4 were scattered through the list. I just ran the same 'yum -y install oracle-validated' command, and it only attempted to download the ones previously missed. Only got part of that list. resubmitted and it got the rest, then continued with the actual installation.
  • 2. Re: Problems updating using free repos
    996668 Newbie
    Can I download the problem packages from ie. RPM and install those two locally? IF so, how to get get about it? I have been trying for two days now and no luck!
  • 3. Re: Problems updating using free repos
    558116 Explorer
    993665 wrote:
    Can I download the problem packages from ie. RPM and install those two locally? IF so, how to get get about it? I have been trying for two days now and no luck!
    Worst case scenario you could either use wget directly on that url and then use yum to install the rpm file (yum will automatically grab any deps from the configured repos). Or you could use yumdownloader instead via something like "yumdownloader libgcj".... and then install it with yum. Really, though, you should be able to re-try yum and get the rpm to install/download directly. I was able to get the rpm to download when I clicked the link in the OP.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points