This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 11:49 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Oracle 11g XE installation on Windows 8 - working

Ariean Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I was able to successfully install doing it as "Run As Administrator" and access Oracle 11g Express edition (windows 32 bit version software) on basic windows 8 64 bit OS in my laptop. I came across one message saying that some xyz.......KEY_XE.reg file could not be found under Temp directory, I just clicked ok and I see installation completed successfully and services are up and running able to access the database schemas.I got my new laptop and before installing I updated the OS with all latest patches from Microsoft and started downloading/installing the Oracle 11g XE.Is there any thing else to test like a scenario/issue which you might have came across to make sure its really working??
I know the underlying fact from Oracle saying it may or may not work and I agree considering its a free version.

Thank you.

Edited by: Ariean on Mar 13, 2013 2:39 PM
  • 1. Re: Oracle 11g XE installation on Windows 8 - working
    EdStevens Guru
    Ariean wrote:
    I was able to successfully install and access Oracle 11g Express edition (windows 32 bit version software) on basic windows 8 64 bit OS in my laptop.
    I came across one message saying that some xyz.......KEY_XE.reg file could not be found under Temp directory, I just clicked ok and I see installation completed successfully and services are up and running able to access the database schemas.
    I got my new laptop and before installing I updated the OS with all latest patches from Microsoft and started downloading/installing the Oracle 11g XE.
    Is there any thing else to test like a scenario/issue which you might have came across to make sure its really working??
    I know the underlying fact from Oracle saying it may or may not work and I agree considering its a free version.
    The "underlying fact" that may cause it not to work isn't the fact that it is a "free" version, but the fact that it is not certified to run on Windows 8.
    Thank you.

Edited by: Ariean on Mar 13, 2013 2:17 PM
  • 2. Re: Oracle 11g XE installation on Windows 8 - working
    Ariean Newbie
    so you mean to say Oracle product team has to test it first extensively and then they would certify it, just curious to know how this certification process works.
  • 3. Re: Oracle 11g XE installation on Windows 8 - working
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Certified MS OS versions for 11gXE are documented - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#BABGGAJA

Currently there is no Oracle software certified for Win 8 or Win 2012 - future Oracle versions are expected to be certified - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/tech-info/sod-oracle-db-win8-win2012-1853201.pdf

I expect that 12c version of XE (if there is one) will likely be certified with Win 8

HTH
    Srini

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points