3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 9:20 AM by user9085814 RSS

control_file_record_keep_time issue in Standby database

user9085814
      Hi,

We used to recreate standby database from the cold backup after a failover from PROD to STANDBY .(on weekly basis)

When Syncing the standby with production we are getting below warning
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      FAL[client]: Failed to request gap sequence
      GAP - thread 1 sequence 45217-45225
      FAL[client]: All defined FAL servers have been attempted.
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Check that the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME initialization
      parameter is defined to a value that is sufficiently large
      enough to maintain adequate log switch information to resolve
      archivelog gaps.
      In my sence why this is happening becoz
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      During syncing ARCH process detects that the gap archive logs are present in the standby side or it can be said that the requested archive logs
      by FAL[client] from FAL[SERVER] are already transfered to the transfered before failover .
      So after showning this warning , it overwrites the archive logs that are still present in the standby side .

Please corret me i if am wrong ....
      The CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME =7

please help me on this so that i will not get the above warning further .....

Thanks
        • 1. Re: control_file_record_keep_time issue in Standby database
          ozgurumut
          Hi ,

You can take information about "control_file_record_keep_time" from here;
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B13789_01/server.101/b10755/initparams027.htm

I usually set value minimum=14 in my standby DBs .... If you want you can increase this parameter value...
          • 2. Re: control_file_record_keep_time issue in Standby database
            CKPT
            user9085814 wrote:
            Hi,

We used to recreate standby database from the cold backup after a failover from PROD to STANDBY .(on weekly basis)

When Syncing the standby with production we are getting below warning
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            FAL[client]: Failed to request gap sequence
            GAP - thread 1 sequence 45217-45225
            FAL[client]: All defined FAL servers have been attempted.
            Check that the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME initialization
            parameter is defined to a value that is sufficiently large
            enough to maintain adequate log switch information to resolve
            archivelog gaps.
            In my sence why this is happening becoz
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            During syncing ARCH process detects that the gap archive logs are present in the standby side or it can be said that the requested archive logs
            by FAL[client] from FAL[SERVER] are already transfered to the transfered before failover .
            So after showning this warning , it overwrites the archive logs that are still present in the standby side .

Please corret me i if am wrong ....
            The CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME =7

please help me on this so that i will not get the above warning further .....

Thanks
            if you think problem with "CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME" , it means you mislead ;)
            Oracle suggesting you to check whether archives are been out of retention, Its not saying any issues with the parameter. If that parameter set to too low and the archives are not applied within that period then you have to adjust the value.

Now coming to the point, Archives from *45217-45225* are missing on standby,

1) Check whether they are exist on primary or not
            2) if deleted, restore those backups from Backup
            3) if backup not avaialble of those archives, You have to perform incremental rollforward to recover your standby database , using the below link
            http://www.oracle-ckpt.com/rman-incremental-backups-to-roll-forward-a-physical-standby-database-2/
            • 3. Re: control_file_record_keep_time issue in Standby database
              user9085814
              Thanks for your help ......