This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 12:07 PM by EdStevens RSS

Curious statement in Installation Guide

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated
Just ran across this in the Database Installation Guide 11.2 (E16763-05)

Pg. 1-10, as a sub paragraph under discussion of Standard Edition One:

================================================
You must install Oracle Database Client separately. You cannot
install it during an Oracle Database installation. Refer to Oracle
Database Client Installation Guide for Linux for installation
instructions.
================================================
Looking in the client installation guide, all I can find is statements about not installing into homes of different versions (duh!). Nothing that looks like it would relate to this type of statement concerning a specific edition of the rdbms. Is this just a poorly worded way of saying that with SE-One (unlike EE) the client software is not included with the rdbms installation? Or is there something else going on that I'm not seeing?

As an aside and possibly related, one of the systems I inherited had an OHOME for which the only reference in /etc/oratab was a line where the "sid" is listed as "client":
client:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1:Y
Thoughts?
  • 1. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    My guess is that the two sections titled "See Also" and "Note" do not specifically refer to the SE1 edition, but to section 1.7 as a whole. Agree that it is poorly worded and can be explained better.

This version of the same Doc - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/install_overview.htm#i1106622 - has a feedback section at the very bottom

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    EdStevens Guru
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    My guess is that the two sections titled "See Also" and "Note" do not specifically refer to the SE1 edition, but to section 1.7 as a whole. Agree that it is poorly worded and can be explained better.

This version of the same Doc - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/install_overview.htm#i1106622 - has a feedback section at the very bottom

HTH
    Srini
    What exact version of the manual are you looking at? I'm looking at E16763-05 and don't see any numbered sections (ie: "section 1.7"), but I do get your general drift.

I see two possible interpretation of this statement.
    1) that a client-specific install (especially if different version) needs to be in its own home.
    2) you cannot use a client in the db home

Perhaps that second interpretation is strained, but that was the first thing I thought of when I read that statement, "You must install Oracle Database Client separately. You cannot
    install it during an Oracle Database installation. "
  • 3. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Without looking at it.....

In some of the previous releases, wasn't it possible to choose a Client install from the Database installer? Now it is a separate download. Could that be it and what the Note is trying to get at? (packaging has changed over the years... I seem to have a memory of a 5 "disc"/zip installation media, while now there's 2 Database, 1 Examples, 1 Gateways, 1 Client, ...)
  • 4. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Ed,

I couldn't find your specific version of the doc - so I googled E16763-05 and found http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18246_01/doc/install.112/e16763/install_overview.htm#i1106622

My comments were related to the above version.

I typically start with http://docs.oracle.com and drill down to the 11gR2 Install Guide for Linux which takes me to http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/install_overview.htm#i1106622 - which seems to be a slightly different version - I haven't dug deep enough to determine what is different or why two different versions of the same doc exist.

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    In some of the previous releases, wasn't it possible to choose a Client install from the Database installer? Now it is a separate download
    Correct.

Nowadays the client installation media (zip file) is separate from the server installation media (zip files).

Hemant K Chitale
  • 6. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Pg. 1-10, as a sub paragraph under discussion of Standard Edition One
    No, it is a sub-paragraph to Section 1.6 "Oracle Database Editions". Thus, it applies to all Editions.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 7. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    EdStevens Guru
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    Ed,

I couldn't find your specific version of the doc - so I googled E16763-05 and found http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18246_01/doc/install.112/e16763/install_overview.htm#i1106622

My comments were related to the above version.

I typically start with http://docs.oracle.com and drill down to the 11gR2 Install Guide for Linux which takes me to http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/install_overview.htm#i1106622 - which seems to be a slightly different version - I haven't dug deep enough to determine what is different or why two different versions of the same doc exist.

HTH
    Srini
    To quote the character Boris Badinov (from Rocky and Bullwinkle), "Vehddy Intehlesting!"
    I always go to tahiti to get primary documentation. But in this case I started with the "welcome.html" with the db 11.2.0.2 software distribution, and drilled links from there. That explains the difference in publication number. But here's the really interesting bit of confusion over section numbers - or lack thereof .. Those numbers only appear in the html version of the docs. Follow the link back to the Installation guide, then click the 'view pdf' link in the upper right corner, and compare the same section in both versions of the doc.

I'll buy off that the "Note" and "See Also" sections are simply visually misleading in that they are indented so far to the right as to appear to be subordinate to the bullet point about SE-One. And at this point I'll accept that my interpretation of the statement itself was incorrect, that they are trying to say the client-specific install is a seperate install, not that you must install a client separate from the rdbms.

I submitted feedback on the response form at the bottom of the html page.

Edited by: EdStevens on Mar 15, 2013 1:58 PM
  • 8. Re: Curious statement in Installation Guide
    EdStevens Guru
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    Pg. 1-10, as a sub paragraph under discussion of Standard Edition One
    No, it is a sub-paragraph to Section 1.6 "Oracle Database Editions". Thus, it applies to all Editions.

Hemant K Chitale
    Must be. Maybe I tend to read too much into visual cues, especially when it comes to the hierarchical structure of a document. The degree to which those notes are indented is what makes them appear (to me) to be subordinate to the particular note on SE-One. And once picked up on that, looking around at some more of those types of notes it appears to be a common "issue". I'll need to on the alert for that possible mis-understanding of their intent, going forward. Also, see my reply to Srini re: the lack of the hierarchical section numbering in the pdf doc, vs. the html version.

I write a fair amount of internal technical docs and reports, and work very hard at making the format and structure of a doc consistent and meaningful. So it's always a disappointment (and potentially misleading) when I see docs supposedly written by professional tech writers that get sloppy in this regard.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points