5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 10:00 PM by Kellymayfield-Oracle RSS

Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?

BeckieC
      All spec types contain two fields in "Approved for Use In": Concept and GSM Business Unit. We have enabled GSM BU security on our 6.1.0.1 installations and are looking for additional controls between user groups, workflows (conditions), expansion of BU values, etc.

I am trying to evalute if the Concept values provide any security control or workflow behaviors. So far, I have found nothing that relate a spec's Concept Awareness to any functionality except EQT searchability. Is there any place in PLM4P that Concept can be used for conditional access / viewability of spec objects?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?
          Kellymayfield-Oracle
          You can't use concept in WFA conditionals. All of the conditionals we allow can be found in the Admin Guide, WFA chapter.

There is a configuration where you can change the approved for use in section to allow a country selection instead of concepts. This country can be used as a conditional in WFA. The "ProdikaSettings / ConceptAwareSpecs" section in the configuration guides talks about it further and provides some screenshots.

I'm not sure what use case you are trying to solve, but if the country approved for use in section doesn't help then one of our extensions may:

1. Workflow Transitions: We have guard conditions for workflow that you can use to define additional conditional like behavior for transitions.
          2. Read Permissions: We have a veto handler in GSM that you can extend to further restrict read access to a specification based on conditionals.
          3. Edit Permissions: Section Level Editing can be used to prevent users from editing a specification (specific sections) based on further logic.
          4. Email Notifications: you can extend our email notifications in 6.1.1 to use further logic to send specific messages based on user group, workflow status etc.

Hope this helps,
          Kelly
          • 2. Re: Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?
            BeckieC
            Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your reply as that confirms what I gleaned from reading the documentation and checking WFA conditions. What I am actually asking is what is the purpose of ConceptAware specs? What is the functionality and how is it expected to be used? Is there documentation about the "concept" of ConceptAware-ness? So far, I haven't seen anything that explains what the intent of the data element is for.

Thank you. --Beckie                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            • 3. Re: Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?
              Kellymayfield-Oracle
              Its just a secondary taxonomy you can use to categorize where your specifications can be used. For example, some customers you may not think of approved for use by a simple flat list of countries instead they think of it using a more complex taxonomy view.

For example, a food service customer may have 3 types of stores. You could designate that a material can only be used in restaurant type A versus the cafe.

Your products and how you define where they are approved to be used will really define this list. You can divide it into any concepts you would like and even add countries as nodes underneath them.

This would have to be tested out, but I believe you can also have mixed approaches. One spec type shows concept while the other shows country.
              • 4. Re: Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?
                BeckieC
                Thank you again Kelly. Your replies answer my questions and confirm what I made assumptions about after reading the documentation. I'll submit an ER to Oracle Support because I think Concept as part of WFA conditions may be desireable. Until then, we'll figure out what we want to do for our particular use cases. Thanks again. --Beckie                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                • 5. Re: Does the Concept hierarchy provide any functionality beyond searchability?
                  Kellymayfield-Oracle
                  That would be a good ER. Be sure to point out where you would like the conditionals (resolution, transitions, owners, notifications, signature requests, workflow permissions) and what problem you will be solving with each one. This will ensure we provide the proper evaluation logic.

If you decide to use concepts let us know how you implement them. It would be nice to have some more real world examples.

Thanks!