3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2013 9:26 AM by 997028 RSS

Legal question regarding use of ODAC

Hi everyone,

I am a software developer and I am developing a software for a client. One of the requirements for the software is that it is able to connect to Oracle database which holds Primavera data. To achieve this I downloaded the ODAC (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/downloads/index.html).

The completed product will be sold as a binary executable software. Is this okay with the Oracle license agreements which I had to agree with before downloading the ODAC? I have read the license and could not find a passage which forbids the use in commercial software. But me and my client have a strong vital interest to be absolutely sure.

So is it legal to use ODAC for Visual Studio in commercial software?

Best regards,
        • 1. Re: Legal question regarding use of ODAC
          Mark Williams-Oracle
          Hi Matthias,

I understand your concern in being sure of the license agreement.

I am not an authority on this issue; however, according to this page:

ODP.NET: Free and Fully Supported

There is no charge to develop, test, deploy, or distribute ODP.NET....ever! Unlike third-party ADO.NET drivers which charge for use, ODP.NET is free. If you already have Oracle Database support, then ODP.NET support is included for free.

I would normally recommend people consult their local sales representative for any license questions; however, since ODP.NET is not licensed or sold (i.e. no specific cost to purchase) I don't think that applies in this case.

Sometimes the Product Manager (Alex) posts on these types of questions so perhaps he will do so here too.

• 2. Re: Legal question regarding use of ODAC
            Alex Keh - Product Manager-Oracle
            Yes, it's legal to distribute ODAC software downloaded under the OTN Dev and Deploy license as long as you comply with the redistribution terms laid therein. However, I can't comment on whether specific forms of commercial distribution are compliant with the license because I'm not a lawyer nor have I discussed with Oracle's legal counsel exactly what those specific distribution scenarios were intended to be permitted.

It's best to consult your company's legal counsel for the definitive answer.
            • 3. Re: Legal question regarding use of ODAC
              Thank you for your information. Question answered.