9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 6:47 AM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes

kp2000 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I have a check box item

SPACE SPACE SPACE Need YES NO Label here
1.Do yo agree to the terms * 2 check boxes *

I tried several ways..but failed to get YES NO Label right at top of these check boxes.appreciate any feedback

thanks
kp

Edited by: user8612301 on Mar 14, 2013 9:15 AM
  • 1. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    fac586 Guru
    >

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user8612301".
    I have a check box item

SPACE SPACE SPACE Need YES NO Label here
    1.Do yo agree to the terms * 2 check boxes *

I tried several ways..but failed to get YES NO Label right at top of these check boxes.appreciate any feedback
    2 checkboxes are not a suitable UI for this [binary option] use case. Check boxes are not mutually exclusive, enabling the user to check both Yes and No options.

Use either a single checkbox labelled I agree to the terms, or a radio group with Yes / No options.
  • 2. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    Hi,

As Paul has said, it seems one would use a Radio Group for this with Yes / No selections. As for aligning the label, how about doing this:

I 've done these declaritively. In the Label attributes I used the following for the Label -- that is, put this in the Label attribute:
    <span style="font-size:12pt;color:red;font-weight:strong;">    YES NO<BR>Do you agree?</span>
    Then you can change color, font-size, weight, etc. The blanks in front of "YES" are produced by as many "& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;" as you want -- but omit the blank between "&" and "nbsp;" -- include the ";" in each case. The "bracket BR bracket" between NO and Do will produce a line break.

And then for the Horizontal / Vertical Alignment attribute select "Above" from the dropdown.

That should do it!

Regards,
    Howard
  • 3. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    fac586 Guru
    Howard (... in Training) wrote:
    Hi,

As Paul has said, it seems one would use a Radio Group for this with Yes / No selections. As for aligning the label, how about doing this:

I 've done these declaritively. In the Label attributes I used the following for the Label -- that is, put this in the Label attribute:
    <span style="font-size:12pt;color:red;font-weight:strong;">    YES NO<BR>Do you agree?</span>
    Then you can change color, font-size, weight, etc. The blanks in front of "YES" are produced by as many "& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;" as you want -- but omit the blank between "&" and "nbsp;" -- include the ";" in each case. The "bracket BR bracket" between NO and Do will produce a line break.

And then for the Horizontal / Vertical Alignment attribute select "Above" from the dropdown.

That should do it!
    How does the user know which checkbox to check?
  • 4. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    Re:
    Sorry to play dumb -- but I'm so good at it?
    How does the user know which checkbox to check when ... ?
    1) Is this a logical question? Does the user know what they are being asked, what "Yes" means and what "No" means? If they are here, presumably they do.

2) Is this a question about the page/checkbox question layout created by this approach? It's the usual layout with label and boxes and descriptions for those boxes.

I see what you said but I haven't been able to get my mind around what you are questioning.

Ah, let's assume it's a layout question. The checkboxes and selections are as they usally are. Only now, the enhanced "label" is above rather than to the left of the item. Is that what the question is about?

Regards,
    Howard
  • 5. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    fac586 Guru
    Re:
    2) Is this a question about the page/checkbox question layout created by this approach?
    Yes.
    It's the usual layout with label and boxes and descriptions for those boxes.

I see what you said but I haven't been able to get my mind around what you are questioning.

Ah, let's assume it's a layout question. The checkboxes and slections are as they usally are. Only now, the enhanced "label" is above rather than to the left of the item. Is that what the question is about?
    How does the user know which checkbox to check? (For the moment ignoring the fact that there should only be one.)
  • 6. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    "What we [may] have here is a failure to communicate."

I answered a layout question. I think your question is less about layout.

If you want to know: Does the user know what they are agreeing to? I think that's a logical / legal question. To whit: Can they figure out what's expected from what we see here?

I could evade by asking: Does the user ever know what they are agreeing to? And if they did, would they have a choice? But such great moral and philosophical questions I leave to others more skilled than I.

You're asking about meaning, not mechanics. Right?

Howard
  • 7. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    Sven W. Guru
    user8612301 wrote:
    I have a check box item
    Which Apex version?

Also it is not clear whether you have 1 checkbox that should show YES and NO depending on how it is selected
    Or If you have 2 independent checkboxes on the screen and the first should be is labeled YES and the second one is labled NO.

If the later is the case, then simply use TWO checkbox items, instead on one.
  • 8. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    Sven W. Guru
    "What we [may] have here is a failure to communicate."
    I think so. The problem with your "solution" is that it doesn't give a clear matching between label and checkbox. There is a very good chance that if you match it on your screen it will not match on the users screen. They might have a different browser, different zoom factor or any other mismatch. Therefore the application user will not know (=recognize) which word will match which checkbox. I would not ever consider your suggestion to be a solid solution that can be used for anything else but a quick and dirty fix. Even if it seems to answer OPs question.
  • 9. Re: creating YES NO Label on top of check boxes
    Sven,

Ah! That is a layout question. You've done this and had a problem with it? Yes?

I had no problem. (Myself, I would not use the YES NO in the label since they are repeated in the radio group button(s). But that's a design decision.)

I threw this example together [My choices are COFFEE TEA NA.]: http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=68010:3 Login: Dever / Ima9Dever

It's messy/ugly with pieces of this & that thrown in but I see nothing fundamentally wrong with putting the RG label "above".

The real thing would need to reference /show what is being agreed to.

But I have no fundamental problem with the label on top.

Howard

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points