This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 4:29 AM by EdStevens RSS

Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database

975148 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I want to know as to how to go about getting a disaster recovery solution for Oracle 11g database, using DataGuard may be the way out. It could be very helpful if the steps towards a complete disaster recovery solution are listed out including the companies providing the solution.

I hope, my query is clear.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    "Disaster recovery (DR) is the process, policies and procedures that are related to preparing for recovery or continuation of technology infrastructure which are vital to an organization after a natural or human-induced disaster. Disaster recovery is a subset of business continuity. While business continuity involves planning for keeping all aspects of a business functioning in the midst of disruptive events, disaster recovery focuses on the IT or technology systems that support business functions."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_recovery

companies :
    -agility recovery
    -Oracle
    -river bed
  • 2. Re: Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    The Oracle side of things is but a small fraction of a DR/BC plan. There is, of course, also a lot of work involved from a operating system, hosting, networking, application and business perspective.

From the database side, there are plenty of documentation, even step-by-step guides from My Oracle Support that, although detailed, are thorough. While they're not always infallible, by following them, you can get there, even if you have to tweak some things along the way.

As always, it's a case of RTFM rather than ask people to do your searching for you.
  • 3. Re: Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database
    975148 Newbie
    Thanks for your answer, but I did not understand what does RTFM mean.
  • 4. Re: Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database
    sb92075 Guru
    972145 wrote:
    Thanks for your answer, but I did not understand what does RTFM mean.
    Read The Fine Manuals
  • 5. Re: Disaster recovery for Oracle 11g database
    EdStevens Guru
    972145 wrote:
    I want to know as to how to go about getting a disaster recovery solution for Oracle 11g database, using DataGuard may be the way out. It could be very helpful if the steps towards a complete disaster recovery solution are listed out including the companies providing the solution.

I hope, my query is clear.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards
    In addition to the other replies, let me add a few thoughts . ...
    While your specific technical responsibility may only be the database, you have a moral responsibility as a member of the team to at least raise other issues -- outside of the database, even outside of the data center -- that are critical but often overlooked. Management needs to consider the other effects of whatever disaster causes you to have to revert to your fail-over database. Let's suppose a natural disaster (tornado, hurricane, flood) or human action (think Murrah Federal Building; think World Trade Center) takes out not only your primary data center, but the entire office building/complex. What is the backup plan for loosing any/all of the following:

- those important reference notes kept in or on your desk -- you know, the procedures on HOW to exercise the DR plan ... or the sealed envelope with key passwords ... or .....
    - End user's computers, including important information kept on their local C: drives
    - important reference notes the end users keep in/on their desks
    - office space in which to work
    - key humans - key information that exists only in someone's brain. Key decision makers.
    - If you have to physically relocate your work force, do you have a plan on where to house them, provide them with usable workstations

Hopefully the above list will give you food for thought. Again, they are not the DBA's to solve but someone needs to at least make the decision makers aware. You'd be surprised how often they don't think of these things.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points