This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2013 2:27 PM by Brandye Barrington RSS

Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?

997215 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I received my Sun Java Certified Programmer certificate in 2008. Neither pearsonvue nor Oracle has this on record.

I am now studying for Web Component Developer exam because I have SJCP certification documentation.

So, will Oracle eventually find my SJCP record or will they take my $340 for Web Developer exam and say I can't take it because they don't have my SJCP on record???

Thanks,
Victor.
  • 1. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Neither pearsonvue nor Oracle has this on record.
    I'm guessing (because your thread doesn't contain the information) that you mean the record does not appear in Certview. This probably means you took it under a different testing ID than Certview is registered to. There are several threads that talk about merging testing IDs.
    I am now studying for Web Component Developer exam because I have SJCP certification documentation.
    If you have the documentation, have you opened an SR about the missing record and offered to submit it to Oracle?

http://education.oracle.com/pls/eval-eddap-dcd/OU_SUPPORT_OCP.home?p_source=OCP
    So, will Oracle eventually find my SJCP record...
    Are you working with them to locate it or ar you hoping that they will spontaneously trip across it? It's not clear what you have done to this point to resolve this.
    or will they take my $340 for Web Developer exam and say I can't take it because they don't have my SJCP on record???
    Generally you can take any test that you pay for. You will not receive a certification until Oracle has records of you having passed all of the required exams.

You may have already opened an SR and tried to work with Oracle Certification about this. Since you don't reference that in this thread, I don't believe that to be the case. Do that now. If Oracle is unable to resolve the issue, then open a thread here (or add a new entry to this one) and reference the SR number. At that time, Brandye, the forum administrator, may be able to check on the status of the SR. I doubt it will get to that point if you have the documentation for your SJCP certification.
  • 2. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    997215 Newbie
    Hi,

Yes, I did submit SR before posting here. Originally, I thought the process of retrieving my SJCP info would be seamless at pearsonview and Oracle and my SJCP would migrate to Oracle. I don't think it's expecting too much since it's a matter of retaining previous Sun certification records.

Anyways, it now looks the process is more involved so I'll have all my SJCP certification proofs handy :)

P.S. I am also an SFU computing science student and have another degree from UBC so it's a bit of a different experience with Oracle.

Thanks,
    Victor.
  • 3. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Yes, I did submit SR before posting here.
    OK. When did you submit it? Have you gotten a response? If you have not gotten a response and think it has been too long, you can post the SR# here and Brandye can check on the status as I indicated in the previous post. If it has been less than 2-3 business days since you submitted the SR, they are probably still working on it.
    I don't think it's expecting too much since it's a matter of retaining previous Sun certification records.
    Don't suppose you've ever been in the position of performing an ETL from one company's database to another... ETLs are seldom simple. With certification records, Oracle must be positive that they are linking your exam records to you. Not linking your records to you is a less serious problem than linking your records to someone else. Being conservative makes sense in this case.
    I am also an SFU computing science student and have another degree from UBC so it's a bit of a different experience with Oracle.
    Not really sure how the TLAs are relevant to the thread, but good on ya.
  • 4. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    997215 Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you so much for the message. This forum has been more helpful and responsive than all of my conversations with Oracle customer service and pearsonview combined!
    matthew_morris wrote:
    Don't suppose you've ever been in the position of performing an ETL from one company's database to another...
    I have been implementing database synchronizations and wrote a synchronization app for my company that takes records from MySQL-powered website site and inserts/modifies them in PostgreSQL one (and vice versa). I agree that it can be a painstaking process with data type issues and so on, but I thought that it was due to my lack of understanding that it seems so difficult. Thank you for affirming my intuition that it's a process that experts find uneasy also, and sometimes avoid altogether to avoid data corruption :)

Thank you,
    Victor.
  • 5. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    997215 Newbie
    Hi Matthew,

Great news! I was able to access my certification history using my Candidate ID from Sun's Score Report document. I used CertView feature to input my Candidate ID and my SJCP is showing there. Now I have a peace of mind that everything is in order :)

There's just one outstanding issue I need to address concerning specific exam policy, but I will raise it in a separate thread later.

OK, back to my Web Component Developer studies...
  • 6. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    matthew_morris Expert
    Great news! I was able to access my certification history using my Candidate ID from Sun's Score Report document.
    Congratulations. I was confident that Oracle had not 'lost' the information. Oracle has a pretty good track record for not losing data, after all. The problem would have been connecting that particular record with you.
  • 7. Re: Oracle doesn't have my SJCP record?
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Just be sure that when you register for your WCD exam, you use the Oracle Testing ID that is associated with your prior Sun Certification. If you have 2 IDs (one generated by Pearson VUE, and the one from your Sun exam score report), you will need to contact pearsonvue.com/oracle/idmerge to get the IDs merged.

Regards,
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points