This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 12:12 PM by Brandye Barrington RSS

1Z0-117 topics

Roger25 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Looking at http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-117&p_org_id=&lang= , i noticed that the principal categories of topics are SQL Statement Tuning and Parallel Queries (those with red). Last month i saw also a Data warehouse section (with red) with two content topics, but currently no. However, the Oracle Database 11g: Administer a Data Warehouse is still present in the Exam preparation (Oracle University Training and Preparation) section. Why?
Are data warehouse subjects not related anymore to this exam, and not needed for preparation, since nothing about data warehouse can be seen in the 'Exam topics'?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    I don't know the answer to this, but I've sent the question directly to Brandye's email. I need to know the answer to this because those are the last topics left that I need to complete for my study guide for this exam. If they've really been removed, I'm done. However, I know that the topics were edited late last week to fix a handful of topic wording issues that I reported to Brandye. The Data Warehousing section might have been removed accidentally while the errors were being corrected.
  • 2. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    I know that "mistake", operations vs operators :)
    I'm waiting for your study guide. Will that be related to 11gR2 (like D52163GC20 course) so it will contain the latest information? It will be public or we must pay for it..?

Regards
  • 3. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    I know that "mistake", operations vs operators
    Yep -- I spent many hours beating my head against the wall trying to fit 'Operators' into those topics before I finally figured out what they meant to say.
    Will that be related to 11gR2 (like D52163GC20 course) so it will contain the latest information?
    I am using all 11G R2 documentation to research for the guide.
    It will be public or we must pay for it..?
    You don't have to do anything at all. But no -- the guides aren't free. I don't make a fortune from this series by any means. However, if I gave the guides away, there would be zero incentive to spend incredible amounts of my free time researching the information. My day job is a Developer/DBA. That I like because I love writing code. It's like Soduku puzzles to me. I like solving problems and seeing the results. By contrast, writing study guides is mind-numbingly boring. I like the results, but a good portion of that is simply "Woo Hoo! I'm finished".

I hope to have the 1Z0-117 guide out within a week of the exam going into production. The missing Data Warehouse topics has thrown a wrench in the works. Now I don't know if I should work on those topics this weekend as I planned (and maybe have to throw them out) or start expanding other sections since they will conceivably play a greater role in the production exam. Probably I'll work on the Data Warehouse topics just in case.
  • 4. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    Looking at the topic list, the very last one appears to have been cut off:
    Explain the effect of initialization parameter on parallel exec

That should be (and was a couple of days ago):
    Explain the effect of initialization parameter on parallel exec ution

I'm guessing an error introduced in the topics list rather than deliberate removal.
    Otherwise, not only has Data Warehousing been removed, but half the Parallel topics as well.
  • 5. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    You're right. Waiting for Brandye's answer..

I want to be among the first who will buy that guide (and it would be great if we can find a solution si that I will not spend too much money for the pack delivery.. btw, where are you from?)
  • 6. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    and it would be great if we can find a solution si that I will not spend too much money for the pack delivery.. btw, where are you from?)
    The books are available via Kindle, which involves no delivery cost at all. If you don't have a Kindle (or an ebook that can read Kindle format), Amazon has a PC viewer that can be used. Personally I prefer the Paperback version. I do a lot of formatting in various sections of the text and Kindle (all ebooks) tend to lose a good bit of it. Still readable, but the alignment/etc. is not what I intended it to be.

I live in the US -- Florida. My publisher prints the paperbacks in the US, the UK, and Europe (I don't know the specific country).
  • 7. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    Thanks, so if i will buy from Amazon, I will be able to read online?

And 2 more questions:
    How many pages will have the book?
    Does it contain a CD, or some labs/examples/solutions, etc?
  • 8. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    so if i will buy from Amazon, I will be able to read online?
    With a Kindle, yes. With another e-reader, I don't know. With the PC-Kindle reader I believe you download the .MOBI file and read from it.
    How many pages will have the book?
    Depends on the format and on how many more pages I add before I consider it to be complete. The paperback version of my guide for 1Z0-144 has 178 pages. 1Z0-117 should be somewhere around that.
    Does it contain a CD, or some labs/examples/solutions, etc?
    None of my guides have that. The books in this series are intended to condense the information that I consider most likely that you will need to know for the exam into a format that can be read more than once. However, while I am researching the guides, I do add links to my companion web site of articles that go into further detail on topics covered by the exam. You are welcome to make use of these resources even if you never buy one of my guides. The link for 117 is:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-117

I highly recommend reading The Oracle Optimizer: Explain the Explain Plan and Parallel Execution Fundamentals in Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
  • 9. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Looks like part of the topics are getting auto-erased for some reason. I think I have it right now. Should be showing all topics.

Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 10. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    Yep. the topic list looks OK now. Good thing too -- I'd already completed most of those sections. :)
  • 11. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    Thanks!
  • 12. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    matthew_morris Expert
    1Z0-117 just went into production today.
  • 13. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    That's good :)
    Now waiting for feedback from candidates
  • 14. Re: 1Z0-117 topics
    Roger25 Explorer
    And again.. some topics are missing from 'Exam topics' page : http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-117&p_org_id=&lang=
    I cannot see the Data warehouse topics, and now I'm in doubt if that section is still mandatory for the exam or not.
    Can you send an email to Brandye?

Thanks
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points