This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 3:21 PM by bigdelboy RSS

Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!

bigdelboy Pro
Currently Being Moderated
The 9i DBA OCP retires on 31-JUL-2013.

This thread suggests what those who are part way on that certification might do, with some exams and or training completed.

This thread is generalised suggestions. You should consider the suggestions, but remember your situation may be different. You are responsible for checking out all things and deciding for yourself, posts in this thread by me are my best attempt to be helpful but they are not authorative.

This thread is composed as of 17-Mar-2013. If you are reading it nearer to 31-Jul-2013 you must take that into account in deciding your actions, as there is less time left.

Remember 9i DBA OCP is essentially an obsolete certification. IMHO It is only now reasonable as a means of getting to 11g/12c DBA OCP without the need for additional authorized training.

Even if you have some elements of the 9i DBA OCP certification track completed if may not be worth your while to rush to complete the track ... It may be better to ignore it completely or restart at 11g DBA Certification track for example; even if that involves paying for additional training.

Key things to do: (http://certview.oracle.com)
- [1] Ensure you have access to certview and confirm you can see all your existing exams recorded under on Oracle Testing ID.
- [2] Ensure any training you have taken is submitted for verification.
- [3] If you are putting effort into 9i DBA OCP ensure you allow for any issues (there are risks if you leave things late!):
=======>> Any exam retakes required.
=======>> Failure of a test center to deliver an exam and it having to be rescheduled.
=======>> Possible difficulty of scheduling an exam near 31st JULY 2013
===>>>== (Their may be a surge of candidiates and it is holiday season so some test centres may shut).

There are precedents for a retirement/change date being moved back under certain cirumstances,
and IMHO there might be a case for doing that slightly for 1z0-032/1z0-033 and the associated 9i DBA OCP certification.
But there is at least an equal case for leaving as will, whichever is choosen people will cry "not fair".
So people should plan for this not to moved back. Oracle have stats to follow the exam take pattern.

The next three posts consider the following cases:

Post 2) Candidates who have 9i DBA authorized training (authorized Training) [ But no training after 9i ]
Post 3) Candidates who have 10g DBA/11g DBA training taken but have a substantial amount of 9i exams taken.
Post 4) Candidates who have no authorized training taken.

Post 5) Spare (for me to add something if appropriate).

References:
===========
Retirement Announcement: https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0864_01
Approved Course Submission: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=99
Approves Courses: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=244
{thread:id=2512654}

Please note I may update the first 5 posts on the thread if I have what I believe is improved information.
  • 1. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    bigdelboy Pro
    Candidates who have 9i DBA authorized training (authorized Training) [ But no training post 9i ]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have the option of rushing to complete all the exams by 31-JUL-2013 to get 9i DBA OCP.
    ( And do not forget to submit your training for verification! and check all is in order on certview)

If you fail to achieve that by 31st JUL 2013; and you still wish to become DBA OCP then you will
    need to take more training. (An 1z0-007 will still be valid towards 10/11g DBA OCA ...
    though perhaps not for 12c DBA OCA).

In general:

A) If you have one exam left to pass for your OCP (e.g. 1z0-033) then you probably
    have time to achieve it and it will often be worthwhile to do it.
    B) If you have passed 1z0-007 and 1z0-031 then you may have enough time to study and
    and pass 1z0-032 and 1z0-033 but there is a significant risk some will not have
    enough time.
    (( Given your target should be 11g DBA OCP which takes 3 exams 1z0-032,1z0-033, 1z0-055
    you might consider taking 11g DBA Training (possibly expensive) and the two exams
    1z0-052 and 1z0-053 which would get you to 11g DBA OCP).
    C) If you have only passed 1z0-007 (or no exams at all) at this point you may easily
    struggle to pass all of 1z0-031/2/3 by the retirement date.
    - You may well need to consider abandoning 9i DBA OCP.
  • 2. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    bigdelboy Pro
    Candidates who have DBA authorized training at a level higher than 9i.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A) If you have passed an SQL exam and two(or 3) of the exams 1z0-031/032/033 then
    probably best to complete the remaining exam and submit the traning to get the 9i DBA OCP.

B) Otherwise if you have one or less of exams of 1z0-031/32/33 the concentrate on the higher version to which your training relates.

Edited by: bigdelboy on Mar 18, 2013 2:38 PM (Corrrections)
  • 3. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    bigdelboy Pro
    Candidates who have passed 9i DBA OCP exams but have no authorized training
    ===========================================================================

A) 1z0-007 Only passed. Ignore 9i DBA OCP. This exam is good for 11g DBA OCA/P. Follow that.
    B) 1z0-007 and 1z0-031 (9i DBA OCA).
    Ignore 9i DBA OCP, pursue 11g DBA OCA/P.
    ( Before anyone asks there are no DBA OCA upgrade exams, there is no point, just take 1z0-052).
    C) 1z0-007, 1z0-031 and 1z0-032.
    To get to 11g DBA OCP there are two choices
    (#i) (1z0-033 + 1z0-055 + DBA training) (for training might as well go for 11g as it is good for 9i also).
    (#ii) (1z0-052 + 1z0-053 + 11g DBA Training).
    If you decide to go route (#i) you may need to get the 9i DBA OCP including training before 31st July.
    D) All exams 1z0-007/1z0-031/1z0-032/1z0-033 passed ( But no training):
    You need training to get 9i DBA OCP.
    You may need this before 31-JUL-2013 ... see {thread:id=2512654}

Edited by: bigdelboy on Mar 18, 2013 2:45 PM Corrections
  • 4. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    Brandye Barrington Expert
    Wow! I am hopeful that those who need this detailed info will see it here - good info!

Thanks
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
  • 5. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Brandye Barrington wrote:
    Wow! I am hopeful that those who need this detailed info will see it here - good info!

Thanks
    Brandye Barrington
    Certification Forum Moderator
    Can you link this thread from one of your announcements, or turn it into an announcement itself to prevent replies of all sorts?
  • 6. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    bigdelboy Pro
    If I had a blog it would be a blog.
  • 7. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    bigdelboy wrote:
    Whatever that means. (I'm a bloody foreigner;) )

Maybe we can add this thread (at least your starting posts) to some FAQs/stickies/announcements when we get the new platform. I haven't given up hope that people actually do read them occasionally.
  • 8. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    matthew_morris Expert
    I keep considering starting one. That said, I created three articles on this topic last Friday.

Oracle Exam 1Z0-147 Is Being Retired: What Does That Mean to Me?
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Oracle-Exam-1Z0-147-Is-Being-Retired:-What-Does-That-Mean-to-Me?&id=7547879

Oracle Exam 1Z0-007 Is Being Retired: What Does That Mean to Me?
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Oracle-Exam-1Z0-007-Is-Being-Retired:-What-Does-That-Mean-to-Me?&id=7547576

The Oracle 9i OCA and OCP Certifications Are Being Retired - What Does That Mean to Me?
    http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Oracle-9i-OCA-and-OCP-Certifications-Are-Being-Retired---What-Does-That-Mean-to-Me?&id=7552930

Edited by: matthew_morris on Mar 19, 2013 2:50 PM -- added final URL
  • 9. Re: Panic! DBA 9i OCP Retirement. What to do? Please help Me!
    bigdelboy Pro
    PhHein wrote:
    bigdelboy wrote:
    Whatever that means.
    If I shifted my rear to stand it up on bigdelboy.org or somewhere rather that going into dispute with they who (effectively and not directly) paid may wages 30+ years ago rather than here I would!
    (I'm a bloody foreigner;) )
    Während Dame am Zoo, wann ich versuche, Karte zu Dresden-… shutup zu kaufen mich, versuchen, Ihnen zu helfen sagt!
    .... Und watchout für die Teedamen von Drei Annen Hohne!

>
    Maybe we can add this thread (at least your starting posts) to some FAQs/stickies/announcements when we get the new platform. I haven't given up hope that people actually do read them occasionally.
    .... Difficult with this as Oracle can't really be seen to say some of the things I said in this thread as they are my opinions/thoughts and best not authorative advice from Oracle. It is sometimes possible for me to say/suggest things that people from Oracle Certification sensibly cannot.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points