1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 11:37 PM by Dude! RSS

Tell me again why the point system has any value?

stevencallan
        • 1. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
          Don't blame the car, blame the driver. :)
          • 2. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
            That happens a lot in General forum. Try not to focus on the negative.
            At least you helped someone that need some guidance.
            • 3. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
              As long as it does not increase my salary, I ignore it . ;-)

Werner
              • 4. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                Steve, if you are here for the points then I think you are here for the wrong reason.
                We have the same thing going on in the Siebel forums too.

Like Werner said
                oradba wrote:
                I do agree with you and sometimes it is a bit frustrating.
                Everyone likes to get recognition for what they do.
                In the long run you learn something and that is from my point of
                view the more important thing.

Axel
                • 5. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                  stevencallan
                  Oh yes, you pegged me. I'm here just for the points.
                  • 6. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                    Steve, I don't think your here just for the points, but how about giving it a bit more time
                    before you start complaining about the system not working as it should.

Axel
                    • 7. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                      i've not been here for awhile, but the last couple times in i did notice the 'points' system.
                      what i didn't notice right away was the new legend and rating system.
                      i had been happy to have finally made enough posts under the old system to get out of the dungeon (forgot what it was called) and get up to the first 'respectable' level (not that it affected my salary ;) )
                      well, under the new system, it looks like i'm now classified as a 'newbie' :(
                      seems like a little bit of 'guilty 'til proven innocent' doesn't it?
                      • 8. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                        -joe
                        What seems to be missing is the ability to filter searches on "answered" questions. Because in the end folks are searching answers, not questions. That one small option would probably bring awareness to closing out answered questions and would be a win win win for all involved.

So is this question answered? :)

-joe
                        • 9. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                          Dude!
                          Trym wrote:
                          Steve, if you are here for the points then I think you are here for the wrong reason.
                          We have the same thing going on in the Siebel forums too.

Like Werner said
                          oradba wrote:
                          I do agree with you and sometimes it is a bit frustrating.
                          Everyone likes to get recognition for what they do.
                          In the long run you learn something and that is from my point of
                          view the more important thing.

Axel
                          I think this is a very good and realistic way to see it.

Many participants seem to care only about receiving answers by spreading and urging their question as much as possible without providing any value to the community. These people typically do not even care to give feedback and thereby disrespect anyone who tries to help them in the end. Unfortunately the current system does not provide much useful means to spot such posters, other than looking into their profile, which can be misleading.

My suggestion was to set a maximum total number of unanswered posts per user. Setting a thread as answered can be done without marking any answers as correct or helpful, for instance if the poster decides to abandon it with or without a final conclusion. To address the issue of "correct" or "helpful" answers being right for the wrong reason... How about installing a thumb up and down counter to messages that a poster marked as correct or helpful?

I guess we will have to see what changes the new forum system will bring, perhaps sooner or later this year.
                          • 10. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                            stevencallan
                            Here's 5 points for you then!
                            • 11. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                              Billy~Verreynne
                              Dude wrote:

Many participants seem to care only about receiving answers by spreading and urging their question as much as possible without providing any value to the community. These people typically do not even care to give feedback and thereby disrespect anyone who tries to help them in the end.
                              A rather twisted view IMO. Just because someone does not offer you points, or does not provide the type of feedback you would like to your suggestion, does not mean "disrespect". Come on!

It seems to me that there is this politically correct view that technical forums dealing with technical problems and technical solutions, should be all facebook community like, where we are all friends, slapping one another on the back, telling one another how good and awesome they are. +<shudder>+

If you want warm fuzzies and political correctness and slaps on the back, I suggest joining facebook to "connect and share with the people in your life".
                              • 12. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                                EdStevens
                                Who said the system has any value?

My casual observation is that the value a person places on the point system seems to be in inverse ratio to the number of points a person has. The more points a person has, the less value they place on the system. I have several unused toaster ovens ....
                                • 13. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                                  BluShadow
                                  And do we really need to be dragging up this 5 year old discussion again?
                                  • 14. Re: Tell me again why the point system has any value?
                                    Dude!
                                    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                                    Dude wrote:

Many participants seem to care only about receiving answers by spreading and urging their question as much as possible without providing any value to the community. These people typically do not even care to give feedback and thereby disrespect anyone who tries to help them in the end.
                                    A rather twisted view IMO. Just because someone does not offer you points, or does not provide the type of feedback you would like to your suggestion, does not mean "disrespect". Come on!

It seems to me that there is this politically correct view that technical forums dealing with technical problems and technical solutions, should be all facebook community like, where we are all friends, slapping one another on the back, telling one another how good and awesome they are. +<shudder>+

If you want warm fuzzies and political correctness and slaps on the back, I suggest joining Facebook to "connect and share with the people in your life".
                                    Perhaps that is what you have been reading between the lines, but that is not what I wrote. To respond and to acknowledge help is a matter of good manners and courtesy in any social environment. Forum participants who do not give feedback and leave their posts orphaned are disrespectful. That's is my opinion.

About your last statement… I'm not a fan of Facebook and have my account deactivated. I prefer not to drag my life or that of my friends to the public screen. I do not trust Facebook or any other business or government to take care of personal data in everyones best interest. However, the warm fuzzies and political correctness and slaps on the back as you describe seems to happen everywhere, even here.

Edited by: Dude on Mar 18, 2013 5:59 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next