This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2013 11:29 PM by 995971 RSS

Solaris x86: How to boot from Veritas mirror disk?

995971 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello team,

We are using trailware Veritas Storage Foundation (VxVM) on Solaris 10 x86 system and need help in booting from alternative boot disk(Mirror disk).

Steps did :

1. Mirrored the root disk group using veritas volume manager command *"vxrootmir"*
2. Updated the bootpath with mirror disk path in /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
Updated the EEPROM information:
# bootadm update-archive -R /a
3. Edited the grub configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst
Created the following entry similar to primary disk entry to allow the root disk mirror to be booted

title Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86 <VxVM: Alternate Boot Disk>
findroot (rootfs0,0,a)
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

4. reboot -- -r

At the time of boot, selected the newly added entry from the grub list and got the following error,

*"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".*

I am unable to move further from here, is this because of the veritas trial version we are using ?

Please help in resolving this issue and also explain the step by step process of booting from alternative boot disk on a x86 machine.

Let me know if you find anything inappropriate. Looking forward for your replies.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Solaris x86: How to boot from Veritas mirror disk?
    cindys Pro
    Hi--

I have not seen this message before but a quick google search says that is pretty common and is related to the system
    trying to boot from a different device (not the one you intended). Can you check your BIOS settings and possibly remove
    devices from the boot order setting... Otherwise, I would suggest running installgrub on the disk that you are trying to boot
    from.

I'm curious why you are trying Veritas. Is there a Veritas feature that you need? You might consider trying ZFS if you haven't
    already. Its very simple to set up and use.

Thanks, Cindy
  • 2. Re: Solaris x86: How to boot from Veritas mirror disk?
    975957 Newbie
    Looks like you have done most of the required stuff (https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.0/solaris64/html/vxvm_admin/ag_ch_disks_vm28.html)

Perhaps just the grub bit at the bottom missing

Good luck
  • 3. Re: Solaris x86: How to boot from Veritas mirror disk?
    995971 Newbie
    Hello Cindy,

As per the company std. i have to use Veritas.

I tried almost everything and failed. I missed out running install grub on the veritas mirror disk. I will try and check.

Thanks for the helpful information.

Regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points